Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
So I got a steal on a brand new 2015 15.4" rMBP for $1600. Specs are 2.2ghz Core i7, 16gb RAM, 256GB SSD with Iris pro Graphics. This is pretty much how I would spec it out if I were buying a BTO machine except for one thing....storage. My preferred storage would be 512gb, but the cheapest I can find with all other specs being equal is $2,172. I just can't bring myself to spend an extra $572 for an extra 256gb.

So with all that out of the way, do you guys think that's enough storage for most things? My other choice was to buy a 13.3" rMBP with 512gb for $1,849, but hard to pass up the extra screen real estate, especially for that price. Part of me is also wondering if I shouldn't wait for new machines to potentially be announced next month. I'm still rocking a 2007 15" MBP with a SSD/HDD that actually works really well. I technically don't NEED a new machine, but I thought $1600 was a pretty unbelievable price for what I was getting and considering how old my current MBP is, I figured now wasn't a bad time.

So what say the peanut gallery? 256gb work for most people?

Last edited:

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
My old iMac had 1 Tb and I never filled it. I bought a 2014 MBP to replace it, and it only had a 256 Gb SSD. I was worried about storage on it, but it turns out not to be an issue. I do keep the majority of my large files (videos, music, etc.) on external storage, so 256 Gb is more than enough for me when it comes to applications, etc.

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
That's a good price, I'd jump on that one. If you find it's not enough storage, you can always upgrade the internal SSD to a bigger for a lot less than Apple will charge you.

dwman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
That's a good price, I'd jump on that one. If you find it's not enough storage, you can always upgrade the internal SSD to a bigger for a lot less than Apple will charge you.

So that was my thought as well, except all these newer machines have the memory soldered onto the board and no one seems to sell memory for this particular model. Even ifixit doesn't have an upgrade or repair guide for this machine. My hope is that one will come later so I can do it in the future if I want....otherwise, external storage it is.

Last edited:

paulCC

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012

It is not yet possible to replace SSD in the MacBooks newer than some 2013 date. Apple has changed the interface, and no third party offers replacement SSDs. The only option is Apple parts on Ebay, but those tend to be costly.

P.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
You can consider adding "near-line" storage in the SDXC slot. Jet offer flush-fit options. Not as fast, of course, as the SSD, but something to consider.

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
I manage with 128GB without any problems. iTunes - iCloud, Photos - iCloud. Most of the things that used to take up free space are now in the cloud.

Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 21.33.01.png

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
While I got a 512gb in my laptop, I could have easily gone with 256gb knowing that I would have to add additional storage either via slot (as Kohlson pointed out) or an external drive. Remember, that USB3 connected to an external SSD works very well. The catch is having to plug and unplug.

I should be honest as I do have external drives including SSD, USB3 thumbdrives and regular 2.5" external drives. I never considered any of them a problem to carry around or simply attach at my work space.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
So I got a steal on a brand new 2015 15.4" rMBP for $1600. Specs are 2.2ghz Core i7, 16gb RAM, 256GB SSD with Iris pro Graphics. This is pretty much how I would spec it out if I were buying a BTO machine except for one thing....storage. My preferred storage would be 512gb, but the cheapest I can find with all other specs being equal is $2,172. I just can't bring myself to spend an extra $572 for an extra 256gb.

So with all that out of the way, do you guys think that's enough storage for most things? My other choice was to buy a 13.3" rMBP with 512gb for $1,849, but hard to pass up the extra screen real estate, especially for that price. Part of me is also wondering if I shouldn't wait for new machines to potentially be announced next month. I'm still rocking a 2007 15" MBP with a SSD/HDD that actually works really well. I technically don't NEED a new machine, but I thought $1600 was a pretty unbelievable price for what I was getting and considering how old my current MBP is, I figured now wasn't a bad time.

So what say the peanut gallery? 256gb work for most people?

EDIT: If anyone else is interested in this same deal, here's where I got it. While supplies last...

http://goo.gl/t6XTjr

For additional storage on these devices, you could always go this route:

I have several "half" cards that I use in the SD card slot.

Both PNY (StorEDGE) and Transcend (JetDrive) make cards with fixed storage sizes. Current models are 64 and 128GB.

TheMiniDrive and Nifty make cards with removable MicroSD cards and currently support sizes up to 128GB.I have several brands, as well.

The StorEDGE has a small lip that sticks out just enough to allow you to grab it to eject the drive. The other versions sit completely flush with the rMPB, and have little slots where you can "hook" them with the provided tool to eject them.

The "Players" and their products:
theMiniDrive
Nifty Mini Drive
PNY StorEDGE
Transcend JetDrive

dwman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
For additional storage on these devices, you could always go this route:

The "Players" and their products:
theMiniDrive
Nifty Mini Drive
PNY StorEDGE
Transcend JetDrive

Thanks. I'll check these out. I'd heard of them, but didn't know much about them. Definitely a much more economical way to upgrade my storage if needed.

Thanks to all who responded. Between cloud photo storage and iTunes match, that should free up a lot of space that would have otherwise been taken on the SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.