256GB Flash Storage enough for OSX and Windows ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Siked, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Siked Guest

Hey,

I've ordered the base level rMBP and was wondering if I will have enough space for OSX and Windows 7?

On OSX I dont plan to have too many files, mainly pages documents and photoshop files.

On Windows I plan to only have games, however I would be happy with installing only a couple of games at one time and replacing them with others every now and then.

Thanks in advance.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I was in the same boat. I couldnt justify the $500 for 512GB when USB3.0 is so fast. I copied 1.6gbs of data to a USB3.0 external 7200rpm hdd in 18 seconds. Id recommend saving your $ and getting 16GB and a nice 7200rpm external usb3.0 hdd like I did. This is a killer deal imo as it comes with both usb and tb cables

http://www.amazon.com/Technology-Mi...ords=buffalo+ministation+thunderbolt+hd-patu3

Had I not already had a 7200rpm USB3.0 HDD I would have bought it.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

While Windows should be on the internal drive, most games can run without issues off an external. When you install the games, you can set an install location which is on the drive.

4. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Thunderbolt is a bit useless unless you open the case and change the HDD for a SSD. Otherwise the 5400RPM hard drive is going to be the bottleneck and connectivity won't matter that much. If you're not going to use SSD, I think you'd be better buying a USB3-only hard drive which is cheaper.

5. jim468, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

jim468 macrumors regular

I think so too. It's funny how they don't show the actual drive speed on the Amazon.com link, but instead show the interface speeds.

6. Siked thread starter Guest

But will I have enough space to be able to have both OSX and Windows on the internal drive?

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you install all games and non-important software on an external, you could probably get away with using only 20GB for Windows. Although 50GB should be more than enough for quite a number of games (the average non-indie game takes around 1-2 GB).

I don't know how much space you are using in OS X, so I can't tell you if you have enough.

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I completely agree, but for the price its a killer deal to have both TB and USB3.0 and both cables.

9. xpcker macrumors regular

I have 80gb in windows with auto cad bf3 and lol and 10gb left.
    in mac i use itunes match and photos in a external hdd also with movies. 80gb left so far

everything is great =)

10. Drask macrumors regular

I do have OS X/Windows 7 on a 256GB.

I partitioned 50%-50% (about 120g for each):

Windows: Office 2010, Visual Studio 2010, Steam with Crysis 2, League of legends, Chrome. I have about 50GB left. Windows takes a ridiculous amount of space but I can live with it, I plan on getting an external to move games/movies there.

I have 16GB of ram, Windows pagefile.sys takes 15GB and hibernation (which I turned off) used up to 16GB, plus my windows folder is about 24GB.

At OS X well, I have all the apps that come pre-installed about 10 of my own (like Aperture and Final cut pro) and have 80GB free.

Hope this helps.

11. Siked thread starter Guest

Thanks, that was really helpful. Judging from what I plan to have I should have more than enough space for OSX and Windows.

12. drambuie macrumors 6502a

A 15GB pagefile is a bit excessive, especially with 16GB of RAM. You could reduce it to 5GB, or even less, (1GB). Some Windows users advocate removing the pagefile completely, but that isn't recommended. Even if it's not used, Windows and some apps like some minimal pagefile space to be present in the Windows boot partition.

13. Drask macrumors regular

I was looking for this, on how to do it, any advice? :)

14. memko macrumors member

15. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

It works for me. I gave Windows 7 25gb out of my 256gb ssd. I only need it for one program for work.