256GB iPhone and what now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fate0311, Nov 3, 2016.

1. fate0311 macrumors 6502

So I have had this iPhone 7 for about a month now and for the payment price to storage ratio it made sense to just grab the 256GB.

I'm looking for a way to make the iPhone a external storage device. Is there an efficient way to make it act accordingly without jail braking the phone?

I want to be able to plug the phone into my laptop and transfer anything as if it was a thumb drive.

From what I know, Apple makes it very hard to do that. Looking for some feedback on this.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not really. And you'd have to wait for a jailbreak for iOS 10 first. And then hope there is something that will either appear or be updated to allow for this.

Some of the more useable stuff broke with the iOS 9 jailbreak (Netatalk for instance). There's another tweak I bought but don't really use because it doesn't seem to work as advertised. I can connect to my iPhone but I can't copy.

Good luck with that.

I've never found anything that allows that. Supposedly there is some sort of tweak out there that allows USB connections and gives you what you're asking for but I don't think it works for iOS 9, let alone iOS 10.

There are some commercial software apps for the PC/Mac that allow limited file access to the iPhone, but they aren't cheap and it's still not what you want. You have to do all the transfer inside the app.

Apple has made what you want to do pretty much impossible when stock.

3. fate0311 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Mainly photos.

Everything else you need iTunes for.

Stock I mean.

5. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

You can really only plug and play with photos. There are apps you can get for storing other files types but you would have to use iTunes to get the files on and off.

6. SarZ macrumors regular

SarZ

This is how I transfer files and folders from my PC to my iPhone

I use an iOS app called goodreader http://www.goodreader.com

I use a PC app ( there's also a Mac version) called goodreader USB
    http://www.goodreader.com/goodreader-usb.html

I connect my iPhone to the PC using the USB cable, open the goodreader USB app on the PC and copy files or folders into the goodreader app on iOS

The iOS app also has a music player & I store a lot of my music in the app