256GB MBP $400 cheaper than 512GB - worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnyindia, Dec 22, 2016.

1. johnnyindia macrumors member

B&H is offering the 256GB MBP at $2,199 right now. Was going to wait for the 512GB to come in stock but at $400 less I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and just keeping a 500GB external SSD (which I can get for under 200).

I understand the external will be slower but for the most part I think I can fit all my active projects on the 256GB and use the external mainly for storage and samples I don't use too often (I'm a music producer).

Or should I wait for the 512 still? Is an extra 256GB internally really worth $400? What would you do?

2. insidious_kun macrumors newbie

insidious_kun

As for me it doesn't worth it (too freaking expensive). I went with 256gb and it's enough for my needs. Also I already have an external hdd.

3. michaelromanenko macrumors newbie

michaelromanenko

In this particular case, in my opinion, extra 256 is not worth $400. If you don't need really large files to be instantly accessible on high speed, and you are limited in budget, I would advice you to take the deal from B&H on the base model.

4. johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

If I get the 256, I'll want to use an external SSD for samples. Will a 512GB SSD in an external USB 3.0/USB-C enclosure be fine compared to a Thunderbolt equipped external SSD such as the Lacie Rugged. The Lacie is a lot more expensive, but wondering if the Thunderbolt capability will give me much faster speed for an external drive, since I'm going for a smaller internal drive (I do music production, so the external will be used to store samples and perhaps a second external for recording audio files to)

This is the Lacie. What kind of speed improvement will this get me over a USB3.0/C connection external SSD? I have a Samsung EVO840 already so would just need to buy a USB C enclosure.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677682,&Q=&A=details

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

i would go with the largest you can afford. If you are mobile a lot, the extra storage would be handy - especially if carrying an external is not ideal/possible.

6. johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

I'm thinking also now that the 512 with 2.7Ghz and 455 Graphics card is on sale for $200 off + another $100 off from Adorama (so it would only cost about $320 more than the 256 from B&H + getting the upgraded processes and graphics)...seems like it's worth it

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

i would do it! plus resale value when you go to sell it would be higher :)

8. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

You'll long forget the $ when you get the one you want. You'll always regret NOT getting the one you want.

9. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

I got the 512 tBMB (15") because I wanted Bootcamp on a 128gig partition. Enabled me to consolidate to one machine (finally) and keep both OSs. Was worth it to me.