256GB or 512GB SSD for 15" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wheelhot, Oct 24, 2013.

1. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Hello,
    As my title stated, should I go for 256gb or 512gb? I must partition it to OSX and Windows as I use the following programs each:

OSX:
    Aperture
    FinalCutProX
    DaVinci Resolve Lite
    Keyshot
    Keynote (maybe the whole iWork suite since it'll be free now)

Windows:
    Solid Edge
    Dota 2 (the only game I'll play on my PC, I got a PS3 for other games)

Oh and recommendation on the hard drive split ratio size would be appreciated. Thanks :D

2. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

512 would be roomy and you won't have anxiety over space. 256 will be enough though, I'd say 120 for windows and the rest for OS x

3. JH19059 macrumors newbie

I think 512 os a great medium. I had 256 sad on my 2009 Macbook pro and with over 120 gigs of just music, programs, pics and other incidentals I only had 50 gigs left. Now you could put the other things on a external hard drive which you should do already but who wants to walk around with extra hardware.

4. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

if u got money to spend then my as well. granted u could always have an external drive but having 512 is all about conviencen

5. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, so 256 would be enough for my usage right?

Well I would prefer to prevent unnecessary spending, and by going 256, I'll save $300 from the rMBP :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if I got the right mindset for this, so feel free to correct me on this with your opinion, but I prefer to keep my photos/vid/important stuffs in my external drive as I find it's safer when I'm travelling (probably only bring the information that I need to), just in case I got my laptop stolen, I know there's nothing important in it except the softwares (the important stuffs easily worth 10x more then the machine)

6. jeffsaha macrumors member

If you already offload files that tend to take up room (e.g. music, movies, etc) onto an external, a 256gb would be just fine. I have a 256gb now and have 97gb free, but I symlinked my downloads, music, movies, etc to the second hard drive I put in, replacing the superdrive. And this is with fairly consistent usage since late 2009 and many customizations and 3rd party packages through the CLI/terminal/brew.

I did order the 512gb though this time around for a new 13" because I did not want to always have an external with me all the time. Another thing to consider is that most SSD drives will start to slow down as the drive fills up.