256GB SSD vs 1TB FusionDrive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BJB Productions, Oct 16, 2014.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I know this topic has been covered before - but any thoughts? Currently on my MBP I really enjoy having both an HDD and an SSD installed - all my iTunes content is on the HDD and all system files on the SSD.

Will I be able to choose what content goes onto the HDD? I don't want my flash storage being used for iTunes content.

Also... think it's worth waiting until Black Friday for maybe a few hundred bucks off? I don't have an urgent need. Just an urgent want. :D

2. WilliamG macrumors G3

I bought the 1TB fusion. 256GB really isn't enough. You can split the fusion into separate 128GB + 1TB. So then it's easy to install things where you want.

Down the line I'll open it up and put a large SSD in there as needed.

3. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I'm thinking the exact same thing. Is it possible to open it up and replace the fusion drive though?

4. bp1000 macrumors 65816

If you are going to get an SSD do yourself a favour and pay the extra for the 512GB SSD.

I have no experience of the fusion drive but the SSD in my 2013 MBP is stupidly fast.

5. Malus120 macrumors regular

I'm gonna have to disagree with almost everyone else on this thread and say go with the SSD.

If you need more storage space the iMac has plenty of USB 3.0 ports to which you can connect spinning rust at full speed.

Even if you actually want/need to use a fusion drive I would still suggest getting the 256 GB SSD configuration and then just buying an external hard drive and making a do it your self fusion drive with that.

Of course to each his own and for the average home user sticking with apples built in fusion drive may well be a better choice.

Of course if you're stickler for not having a lot of things on or under your desk then getting a built-in may well be the best choice for you.

Personally I went with the tuna 256 GB SSD