256gb ssd

paperrobots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Hey!

So I'm interested in buying the $2200 MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display and I'm also kind of computer-illiterate. :(

I have a question about the 256GB SSD. Is a computer's speed influenced at all by how large the drive is? In other words, besides the processor and RAM, would a 512GB SSD make the laptop run faster?

And, this kind of goes with my previous question but is a SSD that has 200GB of data on it slower compared to a laptop that has 20GB of data? Sort of like the more something is carrying, the slower it is?

Thanks SO much in advance!

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
It's somewhat true with optical drives, but since only SSD is offered now, no - 256GB SSD will be the same speed as a 512GB SSD.

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
It's somewhat true with optical drives, but since only SSD is offered now, no - 256GB SSD will be the same speed as a 512GB SSD.
Actually, larger SSDs can be faster compared to their smaller siblings of the same series. We won't know until benchmarks come out on these though.

omgitswes

Apr 23, 2012
Nowadays most SSDs seem to be running at the same speed.
I wish they would of offered more storage at the same price point. Could of just been a regular 500GB HDD instead of SSD and I would go ahead and buy it

paperrobots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Thanks for your replies!

Just need an answer for the second question, is a SSD with more data on it slower than a SSD with less?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Nowadays most SSDs seem to be running at the same speed.
I wish they would of offered more storage at the same price point. Could of just been a regular 500GB HDD instead of SSD and I would go ahead and buy it
There just isn't any physical room for one: