256gb ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paperrobots, Jun 11, 2012.

1. paperrobots macrumors newbie

Hey!

So I'm interested in buying the $2200 MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display and I'm also kind of computer-illiterate. :(

I have a question about the 256GB SSD. Is a computer's speed influenced at all by how large the drive is? In other words, besides the processor and RAM, would a 512GB SSD make the laptop run faster?

And, this kind of goes with my previous question but is a SSD that has 200GB of data on it slower compared to a laptop that has 20GB of data? Sort of like the more something is carrying, the slower it is?

Thanks SO much in advance!

2. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

It's somewhat true with optical drives, but since only SSD is offered now, no - 256GB SSD will be the same speed as a 512GB SSD.

3. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

Actually, larger SSDs can be faster compared to their smaller siblings of the same series. We won't know until benchmarks come out on these though.

4. omgitswes Guest

Nowadays most SSDs seem to be running at the same speed.
    I wish they would of offered more storage at the same price point. Could of just been a regular 500GB HDD instead of SSD and I would go ahead and buy it

5. paperrobots thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies!

Just need an answer for the second question, is a SSD with more data on it slower than a SSD with less?

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

There just isn't any physical room for one:

[​IMG]

7. omgitswes Guest

Yeah I understand that. I'm just gonna get the refreshed version anyway.