256GB vs 512 storage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iHeartsteve, Oct 8, 2012.

1. iHeartsteve, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I just got my rMBP a couple days ago and love it. I got the upgraded 2.6 and 16ram. However I only got 256 hardrive. I only used about 80gb on my old PC. But now that I have MAC I am so tempted with all the apps which of course take up more space and am now regretting getting 256.

I don't download music and will not be downloading that many movies. I do however have many pictures and use up approx 30GB per yr for software files. I do like to upgrade to a new computer every year but I had planned on keeping this computer for 2 years.

How many of you upgraded to 512?

I know its a big no no, but if I found someone, is it possible to upgrade to 512 later? Apple genius told me apple won't do it bc its soldered in.

2. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

i dont own a rMBP, but I am going to be putting a 256 in my 13". majority of my music and other large files will be on an external 3.0.

I believe that the ssd is replaceable as it is a blade similar to the air.

3. ibd macrumors member

It's nonsense to store big files that don't require fast loading (movies, pictures, music) anyway. Since rMBP has usb3, I'd suggest you invest in a new external drive which will offer far enough space for things you don't need on the get-go. You can always copy some movies over before you leave, should you leave for a longer trip.

It's possible to swap the SSD, but it's not cost-effective yet. See also http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1448298

Greets!

4. rMacBookPro macrumors member

Can't you just return it and upgrade to 512? My first RMBP was fine, so I never had to replace it, which means I might be wrong.

5. Bwa macrumors 6502

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Get a 64GB SD Card. It'll only stick out a little from your MacBook Pro, so you won't even notice it's there - So just leave it there permanently and you'll have an extra 64GB of storage for movies, TV shows, pictures etc that won't be affected by the slower SD Card speeds :) They cost about $100 I think...

7. iHeartsteve thread starter macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

yes I prob can but I'd like to just save the $500 and would like the option to upgrade later.

----------

thanks good to know!

----------

yes most people said, they just transfer old media or files that aren't utilized currently. so I guess after 1 year if I spend 20 min transferring old files to external hard drive, its not that big of a deal. I always back up on external once a week anyways.

8. pjny macrumors 6502a

I saw this and it's a decent way to add some external storage

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342319572/the-nifty-minidrive

i have 256 samsung 830 and hope to get a 512 soon on my macbook pro.

9. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

How much of the 256 is available on a new rMBP with no added apps/software/stuff?

How much does OS X use?

10. ibd macrumors member

About 25GB.

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I didn't run a in depth disk check but my entire Users folder is 113GB now, Applica. is 10.9GB and that leaves some 44GB for OSX, Dev Tools, and all the stuff installed. OSX does take quite a bit. Gimp and the handful of Mac ports cannot be responsible for more than a couple hundred MB. I got hibernation disabled and the swap file isn't big enough either.

Still BTT. Without a significant amount of Music and Movies you never need more than 256GB. If I remove all media files from my home folder I am at less than 60GB. I don't think anybody can use enough apps to actually fill that up to 250GB. Simple archive big apps that you only used to use on an external drive.
    Moving the app package back and forth from an external drive is as simple as can be.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I didn't because of the premium pricing apple was charging for the upgrade. As noted OWC is selling SSD upgrades so if I need to upgrade down the road, I should have an opportunity to do so.

For me 256 is more then enough and I have a NAS unit to store my music library and Time Machine backups. A NAS may make sense if you need some storage outside of the laptop (but don't need it when the laptop is not connected to it)