iPhone XS Max 256GB X S Max in consideration

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tsepz, May 19, 2019.

1. Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Anyone moved from Android to iOS full time?
    With Huawei potentially being stripped of Play Store access by Google, my love for Android has somewhat taken a huge hit.

My main issue with iOS (I have an iPad Air 2) is the lack of file system, I have a ton of files I often access, and with me using my iPad essentially as nothing more than a Netflix/YouTube machine, I have not explored much options outside of Cloud storage.

Is there some sort of file access app I can use?

2. ericwn macrumors 68020

You can try Documents by Readdle. That app allows you to access files from a computer via shared folders that it can sync.

There are of course more apps that are capable of that.

3. mjschabow macrumors 68020

Since this is such fresh news, I'd let the news settle a bit. There are plenty of other Android options out there and if you have gripes with iOS, you might waste a lot if money on something you won't be happy with.

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Would say one plus pro would be a great option to stick with Android...

5. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

U can try bigger android phones.
    Samsung or google phones itself...
    Oneplus is also quite good....

6. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

None of these are sold here in South Africa and will cost more than a iPhone X S Max 256GB to bring in.

Except Samsung, but I don't know if I want to go back to Samsung.

7. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Order done. Got a Space Grey 256GB X S Max on the way, should be here later this week, hopefully.

Curse my compulsive ways

8. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

We don’t have to understand that move, do we?

9. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Nah.

Will have my P30 Pro right with me anyway if the iPhone ends up not working out.

10. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

Why should it take so long? In India I can get it within ~24 hrs by paying an additional USD ~0.70 from Amazon.in.

11. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Lol, I am not that much in a rush for it. I can wait a few days. It could even come tomorrow depending on where the stock is kept.

12. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

Dude. I’m not saying USD 70. I’m saying less than USD 1. 70 US cents, that’s it.

13. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Dude, who cares, it's coming

I didn't even have the option to pay more for earlier delivery, even if I did, I wouldn't, as that wouldn't make sense to make it come a day or so earlier.

14. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I’m sure it will work out, you know what you will get with iPhones no matter what is going on in the world lol

15. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

Wide opeN

Welcome to the family!!! I love mine, albeit I may get bored at times (which is a good thing).

Between the iPhone, Air Pods and Apple Watch I'm more than satisfied. It's the ultimate combination.

16. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Have you tried the Files app?
    It should give you access to local and cloud storage.

I’m surprised you got an iPhone XS Max, certainly wasn’t expecting that.

17. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

10 years ago I made the move from Symbian to Android, think it was about time for a change. I’ve always had iPads but never fully committed to iOS the way one has to with an iPhone. The bigger iPhones have always had their appeal to me but iOS for a long time put me off as I had it on the iPad and wasn’t always convinced it was the way to go, even leading up to getting the XS Max I had a Galaxy S10+ 512GB sitting in the cart to, but I am little bored of Samsung and down here in South Africa OnePlus and Pixel don’t exist on our networks.

Whether or not I will stick around on iOS is not for certain though, but I am enjoying it so far. Looking to maximize my experience with another case and possibly a 30W charger as even the 12W one isn’t fast enough, lol. I will fully commit the day I decide to get the Apple Watch, for now I am using my Huawei Band 2 Pro so that both my XS Max and P30 Pro can connect and generate points for me with my medical scheme when gyming.

18. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

I remember that. That’s why I was surprised, almost everyone on hofo had a meltdown when Elop killed Symbian, then everyone moved to android, I had moved to the iPhone way before that. Didn’t think you would ever get an iPhone though.

Then whatever you do don’t try an Apple Watch they are highly addictive.

You asked about a file system, try downloading the files app from the AppStore. It will give you access to local storage or cloud storage from the app.

[​IMG]

I would get the 30 watt charger even if you decided to return the iPhone, it’s actually a great charger, it charges everything fast.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You will love your MAX. It is, by far, my favorite iPhone ever!

Big screen and big keyboard is well worth the extra size.

Enjoy!

20. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

How is OneDrive access in your country? I really enjoy OneDrive's features in my browser, phone, and iPad. It works REALLY well with the Word, Excel, Powerpoint applications on iOS / Mac. If you're Windows, even better as OneDrive and Windows 10 jive pretty well. (Office 365 Subscription - $99/year for family - less for personal).

The Anker 12/24w chargers charge the phone almost as fast as a USB C to Lightning charger but they're a lot cheaper.

21. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Haha, we’ll see if I get the Watch, at that point I’ll be fully committed to iOS.

Yep, already got Files, it was built-in, but it seems to work in its own Sandbox, not quite open to all apps, will see how far I get with it, otherwise I’ll just use of the drives [​IMG]

That is very true, that charger will be useful either way.

22. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Indeed, I think OneDrive is the best way to go, I use Microsoft OneNote for note taking at work in both my iPad and MacBook, so already have OneDrive and OneNote installed and quite a bit of my data sits there already.

Thanks a lot on the charger suggestions, let me look into that 24W Anker!

23. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I'm a huge OneNote fan. I use it for work and various other things. OneNote is great. Love the way I can just drag/drop files into OneNote and it puts them in a folder in OneDrive and links to it in the OneNote document. Makes taking notes during meetings and WebEx conferences really easy.

OneDrive is great - been using it as my primary cloud storage for awhile now. Love how it works well regardless if I'm on my work Windows PC (selective sync Work folder) or my MBP, my iPad, or iPhone. Word remembers all my recently accessed word documents on all my devices (same for Excel).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YMZ4LD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (US link).