256MB Graphics OR 512 MB Graphics MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by l3izzarre, May 24, 2009.

1. l3izzarre macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am currently tossing up between the 2.4 MBP and the 2.66 MBP simply for the reason that I am unsure as to what graphics card would be best for my uses.

I am studying graphic design and am currently doing freelance work here and there so I am constantly using CS4 often 3-4 apps at a time. I also dabble in a bit of gaming (CoD4 and soon Starcraft2/Diablo3).

So i guess what it comes down to is do I need or would it be beneficial to get the 512MB graphics or should I save the cash and stick to the base model?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

That's a tough call as you you want the extra power but also need to save money for student life which I know can be expensive. Im sure that the 256mb would be just fine for your needs. What's the price difference I would look but I'm doing this from my phone.

3. l3izzarre thread starter macrumors newbie

The baseline I can get for $2719 AUD and the 2.66 512MB $3399 AUD as I have a mate that works in the Sydney Apple store.

I would be happy to pay the $3399 however if I went the lower MBP id probably purchase a monitor as well so really, money isn't that big of a problem as long as its under $3500. I'll be using it to earn money so it will soon pay itself off.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would go for the 256mb and then purchase an external monitor. Especially working with graphics you will enjoy the extra real estate.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you only really need more graphics memory if you will be using another display as in extended desktop mode the graphics memory is spilt between the two displays.