Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
If not into gaming, etc., what is benefit (this year or in future) of upgrading the video?

KfackC

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2006
mccldwll said:
If not into gaming, etc., what is benefit (this year or in future) of upgrading the video?
For the future i thinks update to 256 will be worth it.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
It's more of a question for me of whether to go with the 20" over the 17" just to be able to get video upgrade. I still don't like the overall frame size/brightness of the imac and would seriously consider putting the imac behind (or off to the side of) a large thin frame monitor.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
heh. where is the 'mac' when you need it?!?!? a headless version of the iMac, but not quite as small/non upgradeable as the mac mini. would have a full size HD and a non-integrated video card (like the iMac). maybe even a PCI express slot for the video card (similar to the old CUBE, but could accept a full size video card) the 'mac' would be between the mac mini and the mac pro!!!!

until the day there is a 'mac' id ask yourself how long you want to keep the iMac. if its for a long time (like 4-5 years) then go for the 256mb in the 20 inch iMac, the 256 will be more 'future proof'. otherwise if you want to keep if for about 2 or 3 years then go for the 17" and youll survive with the 128mb of video.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I wanna use Vista on my new computer and since i have a 20" screen already i'll want to use dual screen. The 128MB in the 17" isn't enough to run both screens with Aero in Vista. I need to get the 20" with the 256MB upgrade, however for that price i get a very very good PC.

Give me 256MB upgrade for the 17" please apple :)

ctsport1234

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2005
unless you plan on using a second monitor with your imac, i don't think its worth it. I would use the money towards more ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.