256ssd---->512ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

should i send my 256GB SSD back and get a 512 so that i can run windows on it? anyone else do this? is it worth it?

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

welllllllll.... how badly do you want to run Windows?

3. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Why do you need 512 GB to run Windows? It's not exactly necessary to run the OS itself...

4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Assuming your signature is current, you would be able to manually upgrade the SSD on your 13'' MBP.

First of all, though, we need to figure out if you would really need a 512 GB SSD to run Windows. Which OS will you be spending most of your time in? Approximately how much storage do you plan on using/are using now? Are any of your applications storage intensive?

Assuming you do need a 512 GB SSD, what I would do is buy a 512 SSD online (much cheaper than buying from Apple), and inserting it yourself. This might scare a lot of people, but I promise it's an extremely easy process for anyone. My grandma could do it. I used to hate tinkering with things but even I at that time was able put a new HDD and RAM in my old MBP. There are hundreds of videos that could show you have to do this, and the best part is you'd still have your 256 SSD left. What I would do is insert it into an external enclosure so you'd have a super fast USB 3 external drive :) or you could sell it to help alleviate some costs.

Let us know how much storage you intend on using and the questions I listed above so we can help you out.

5. CFoss macrumors 6502

Firstly, what model of MacBook do you have? If you have a retina, you will not be able to upgrade the internal flash memory, as Apple uses a proprietary connection for the flash memory. There's a possibility that 3rd party manufacturers, such as OWC, will release their own flash drives. However, none have been released so far.

Secondly, do you need the extra space? How much are you using right now, and what do you plan on doing with it? If you are simply installing Windows 7, that shouldn't require more than 40GB. You can go with even less memory, though you might start running into issues.

If you are set on replacing the SSD, you might wish to consider doing the upgrade yourself. It will save you a lot of money to sending it to Apple, it's pretty easy to do, and it's good to see what your computer is made of.

6. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Hmm. Not top sure about the question but even a 80gb can run Windows. In that sense, a 256 gb is plenty.

7. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I replacedd my he'd with an m4 SSD i am within the 45 day return window so that's why I was asking.