256SSD, fresh or copy old drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, Apr 15, 2012.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Just got a Samsung 830 256GB SSD (Wish I could afford the 512!) for my early 2011 15" MBP (16GB RAM).

I have a stock 750GB 5400 RPM drive that I will be removing. The drive is about 500GB full, so I have to move a bunch of stuff out to an external RAID I have set up for my music, etc.

Should I install a fresh copy of Lion or just move the stuff from so it's around 100GB full then use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy to the SSD? Seems like the most quickest possible way of doing it. I don't mind doing a fresh install and installing all apps fresh. I mainly use FCP 7 and the Adobev CS5.5 suite.

2. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

A fresh install is always best, especially when going from a standard hard drive to an SSD.

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thank you!

Should I enable Trim, by the way? I know there are other threads on this drive, but a more recent reply from a user who's been using it for a long time would be great.

Can't wait to install it later next week!

One thing I wish is that the MBP would stop kicking in the fans even on simple tasks like watching a Flash video. I hope the SSD cuts down on the heat and it's more quiet.

4. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Fresh install avoids bringing over bad data from old drive. I never enabled Trim on my Samsung 470 and it works flawlessly.

Never had a problem with the fans kicking in under simple tasks before or after I installed the ssd. That seems kind of strange. You can use Activity Monitor to help isolate that issue.

The ssd will cut down on the heat and mine is so quiet I wonder if it's running at times. Also, your boot time will be faster.

Firmware updates can be a hassle if you don't have a Windows machine. The Samsung website has a tool to assist with that.

IMO, you made an excellent choice.

5. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thank you.

I have a feeling the fans kicking in might be the Corsair 16GB RAM that I upgraded a few months ago. But I will have to see once I put in the SSD.

I have access to a Windows machine, so I will do the update first before putting it into the MBP.

I don't mind the boot times, I usually set it to sleep anyway. It's the wait of it saving the RAM to Disk that makes me a bit mad, since I am always on the move. The SSD should alleviate that, hopefully.

Don't have a desktop anymore so currently it's just an MBP and a 23" Alum ACD. I like this setup and it's plenty fast for what I'm doing at the moment. Just the noise is annoying me.

6. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Um no, your fans kicking in is your GPU heating up with Flash.

Your SSD and RAM doesn't make a difference to temps.

7. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Verify your firmware version on the ssd with the Samsung site for the most recent version. You may be ok at this point with the new drive.

Probably not the ram as the previous poster stated. I installed a Corsair 16gb kit recently also and no issue with the fans.

Launch Activity Monitor and change to all processes and click the down arrow to list in descending order. You may find what's causing the fan issue there.

Good luck in resolving that issue.

----------

Just found this recent thread on the 830. You might want to check it out.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1303929

8. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Just installed the 256GB Samsung 830...All I have to say is WOW! The speeds are amazing. Now I understand why people who got into SSD's are raving.

Also, is TRIM recommended for this drive? I keep getting conflicting information. Some people say it's good for older drives, etc.

Attached Files:

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

don't both with trim. Samsungs are one of the few drives that have good enough garbage collection to not require trim.

10. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Do you have this drive? How is your performance after a while?

I enabled it...maybe I should turn it off?

Can't find a concrete answer on this.

11. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Never enabled TRIM on my Samsung 470 and no decline in performance since the day I installed. Enjoy your new SSD!!

12. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Read the anandtech review on the samsung 830

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would not use the TRIM hack as you are exposing your data to just that... a hack.

You will not find a concrete answer as nobody knows the long term effects of all this just yet.

Any drive you buy today has some form of garbage collection built in and TRIM is not needed IMO.

Worst case scenario, say your drive slows (no TRIM can only slow write speeds) down over time. All you do is enable the hack and reboot into safe mode then type "fsck -fy" (without the quotes) and reboot. You have just TRIM'd all free space on the drive and it will be like new.

So bottom line, why take the risk. If it does slow you can still use the hack to get it back to new.

14. kevink2 macrumors 65816

When I upgraded my Mac Pro with a SSD, I used carbon copy to copy everything. I didn't want to bother reconfiguring everything.

I too wish I could have gone with a 500GB disk. Though I could afford it, I didn't want to spend all that extra money :)