.26 worth $20 more? ---Video Editing mostly and some motion graphics

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macrumorsMaster, Nov 19, 2009.

1. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Hi,

I've been considering the refurb 2.0 mini for 429, but now I just saw the 2.26 for $449, was too late to get it though. Is it worth $20 more for such a minor speed bump?
    Also what about a hackintosh instead?

I want to run Final Cut Studio and Adobe Apps.
    Main reason I'm wanting OS X is Final Cut, can't do that in windows :(
    What's making me want to go with the mini is the size, but with a hackintosh I can do a core2quad(via lifehacker...or i5 or i7 if I'm feeling adventurous) for just a couple hundred dollars more with a DEDICATED graphics card!

Decisions, decisions~~:eek:

2. mfaye21 macrumors regular

yes for 20 bucks you should defintaly get the 2.26

3. Pak^Man macrumors regular

This is a joke, right? $20??

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Hackintosh is illegal, never mind people trying to get it to work. (never mind the hackintosh distros likely containing malware - I doubt the people doing the work are doing so out of the kindness of their hearts.)

260MHz, for $20 is okay. 260MHz for $500 is a definite no-no (e.g. Mac Pro 2.66->2.93, which is actually 270MHz but it's close enough). :D Now, $1000 for a 670MHz increase is a maybe...

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

^ :eek: What a load of crap. Way to lower the bar. :rolleyes:

I would opt for the faster machine. It won't make much difference in reality, but for $20, what do you lose? And I would take some comfort in knowing that my computer was newer than the 2.0 machine (as silly and illogical as that may be).

6. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

i dont understand how people are asking if they should spend more money on a computer. every thread you see people writing how they should always buy the best that you could afford at the moment. i dont think 20 dollars is going to put you in the poor house, if your looking to spend 450 for a mini. i think you should wait and save up some more money. Lloyd

7. macrumorsMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

because I wasn't sure if .26 is that much of an improvement over 2.0 or that they'll be almost the same. It isn't like 2.0 and 2.6 or 2.0 and 3.0 where talking a small sliver. Is it worth $20 for it or not, not psychological but in a price to performance ratio. I love how people just outright blast it, but don't give any supporting facts :rolleyes:

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you get like an extra 10% increase in cpu clock for 20 bucks...

thats like a lunch

9. apatel87 macrumors regular

Hi I was in the market for a mini too so if I could get that for $450 refurb then I would definitely get that. I just had a quick question about it. What is the difference between that Mac mini and the current generation one aside from the $40 gb hard drive difference and the 1 gb of RAM as opposed to two. I can get the new one for $550. If I got the old one I could easily increase the RAM to 4gb and still pay less than the new one. Any thoughts? Which should I buy?

10. Pak^Man macrumors regular

It's $20..... what kind of a huge performace difference would youy expect for that?!! What are you 8 years old?

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

2.0Ghz -> $429
    2.26Ghz -> $449

13% speed increase for 4.6% extra cost = 1:2.8 ratio of price : performance...yes, it's worth it.

There are your supporting facts right there :rolleyes:

12. macrumorsMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for a logical answer, and not some emotive response.:p