.26 worth $20 more? ---Video Editing mostly and some motion graphics

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2008
Hi,

I've been considering the refurb 2.0 mini for 429, but now I just saw the 2.26 for $449, was too late to get it though. Is it worth $20 more for such a minor speed bump?
Also what about a hackintosh instead?

I want to run Final Cut Studio and Adobe Apps.
Main reason I'm wanting OS X is Final Cut, can't do that in windows :(
What's making me want to go with the mini is the size, but with a hackintosh I can do a core2quad(via lifehacker...or i5 or i7 if I'm feeling adventurous) for just a couple hundred dollars more with a DEDICATED graphics card!

Decisions, decisions~~:eek:

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Hi,

I've been considering the refurb 2.0 mini for 429, but now I just saw the 2.26 for $449, was too late to get it though. Is it worth $20 more for such a minor speed bump?
Also what about a hackintosh instead?

I want to run Final Cut Studio and Adobe Apps.
Main reason I'm wanting OS X is Final Cut, can't do that in windows :(
What's making me want to go with the mini is the size, but with a hackintosh I can do a core2quad(via lifehacker...or i5 or i7 if I'm feeling adventurous) for just a couple hundred dollars more with a DEDICATED graphics card!

Decisions, decisions~~:eek:
Hackintosh is illegal, never mind people trying to get it to work. (never mind the hackintosh distros likely containing malware - I doubt the people doing the work are doing so out of the kindness of their hearts.)

260MHz, for $20 is okay. 260MHz for $500 is a definite no-no (e.g. Mac Pro 2.66->2.93, which is actually 270MHz but it's close enough). :D Now, $1000 for a 670MHz increase is a maybe...

Comment

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
^ :eek: What a load of crap. Way to lower the bar. :rolleyes:

I would opt for the faster machine. It won't make much difference in reality, but for $20, what do you lose? And I would take some comfort in knowing that my computer was newer than the 2.0 machine (as silly and illogical as that may be).

Comment

Lloyd Christmas

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
i dont understand how people are asking if they should spend more money on a computer. every thread you see people writing how they should always buy the best that you could afford at the moment. i dont think 20 dollars is going to put you in the poor house, if your looking to spend 450 for a mini. i think you should wait and save up some more money. Lloyd

Comment

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2008
i dont understand how people are asking if they should spend more money on a computer. every thread you see people writing how they should always buy the best that you could afford at the moment. i dont think 20 dollars is going to put you in the poor house, if your looking to spend 450 for a mini. i think you should wait and save up some more money. Lloyd
because I wasn't sure if .26 is that much of an improvement over 2.0 or that they'll be almost the same. It isn't like 2.0 and 2.6 or 2.0 and 3.0 where talking a small sliver. Is it worth $20 for it or not, not psychological but in a price to performance ratio. I love how people just outright blast it, but don't give any supporting facts :rolleyes:

Comment

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
because I wasn't sure if .26 is that much of an improvement over 2.0 or that they'll be almost the same. It isn't like 2.0 and 2.6 or 2.0 and 3.0 where talking a small sliver. Is it worth $20 for it or not, not psychological but in a price to performance ratio. I love how people just outright blast it, but don't give any supporting facts :rolleyes:
you get like an extra 10% increase in cpu clock for 20 bucks...

thats like a lunch

Comment

apatel87

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Hi I was in the market for a mini too so if I could get that for $450 refurb then I would definitely get that. I just had a quick question about it. What is the difference between that Mac mini and the current generation one aside from the $40 gb hard drive difference and the 1 gb of RAM as opposed to two. I can get the new one for $550. If I got the old one I could easily increase the RAM to 4gb and still pay less than the new one. Any thoughts? Which should I buy?

Comment

Pak^Man

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Columbus, OH
It's $20..... what kind of a huge performace difference would youy expect for that?!! What are you 8 years old?

Comment

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
2.0Ghz -> $429
2.26Ghz -> $449

13% speed increase for 4.6% extra cost = 1:2.8 ratio of price : performance...yes, it's worth it.

There are your supporting facts right there :rolleyes:

Comment

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2008
2.0Ghz -> $429
2.26Ghz -> $449

13% speed increase for 4.6% extra cost = 1:2.8 ratio of price : performance...yes, it's worth it.

There are your supporting facts right there :rolleyes:
Thank you for a logical answer, and not some emotive response.:p

Comment