2600/8800

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by babboxy, Jan 16, 2008.

1. babboxy macrumors member

Hey,

need some help here.

I'm going to buy the new mac pro. I would like to have it with the 8800GT... but that gives me a delay of 4-5 weeks. Can I buy the basic version with HD2600 and upgrade later? (I need the machine asap for work)

..or should I go ahead and buy it with 2x/4x HD2600 ???

I have no idea what advantages would give me these 2 options. maybe somebody knows a link where I can get some info about this?

thanks a lot

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Buying the 8800GT later is perfectly fine. The only benefit of the multiple HD 2600 XTs is to run multiple monitors beyond 2 30" ones.

3. babboxy thread starter macrumors member

thx

uh thanks...so 2600 now and 8800 later. merci!

4. Jonny427 macrumors regular

Just remember that the upgrade price is $200 while the stand-alone price is $400.

5. mrbc19 macrumors member

Only reason not to get the 8800 is if you need the computer now. A lot of work can get done in 5 weeks.

6. babboxy thread starter macrumors member

well said

well said. if I don't have this machine my boss will have to hire a graphic guy who charges 10.000 euros for the job. since I'm around anyway I'm basically doing it for 0. with that money I buy 2 mac pro :p:p

7. qzak macrumors 6502

i was debating to wait or not. i'm a student and my classes just required me to go ahead and get it now. i'm soo glad i did. went to the apple store last night and picked up a brand new base model. took an hour wait for them to install the wireless card, but that was it!

used it last night for my 3d animation class. very happy with my choice :) gonna do some Final Cut Pro work on it this weekend!

8. mrbc19 macrumors member

I waited a long time for the update, so I wasn't going to wait another 5 weeks!

Plus I won't be needing the better card for a few months, so I am happy with the stock card. It's great to finally have the Mac Pro sitting under my desk!:D