$264.xx Bill?!?! Can someone help explain this to me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trent0341, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

I have a 700 minute family plan with 2 iphone 3gs with unlimited data. 129.99
    unlimited text $30.00
    taxes $20.00
    total should be roughly $179.99
    Bill = $264.xx

If it was prorated for half a month throw on another $40.00 (450 anytime + 20.00 for 1 iphone 1st gen). I still can't figure out the $264.xx charge. ATT was as help as the rosetta stone. Anyone else having bill problems? I plan on going to the store and speaking with someone face to face next. I have 2900 roll over minutes and didn't even go over the 700. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE ATT???

2. xerostyles macrumors newbie

Prorated + Advanced Month (sometimes) + Upgrade Fees

Mystery Solved.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think there's a $36 activation fee for each line? Call AT&T

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Well you answered yourself ...

$179.99 + prorated + upgrade fee ($18/per line) should equal $264

5. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Well...

I think you should just give them a quick call and find the truth out! And while you're at it you can try getting any activation fees waived! :)

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Past Month's Service (Prorated) + Next Month's Service + Taxes + Activation

All future bills will be:
    Next Month's Service + Past Month's Overages + Taxes

Please search next time, this issue has been discussed several times.

TEG

7. iViet macrumors member

don't feel bad, mines was about 250-255.00 and i don't got unlimited text, only 200, and yes, i got the same family plan with 2 iphones.:p

8. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

You probably just came from a provider that charges after-the-fact rather than beforehand like AT&T. So because AT&T charges you before the month (for some oddball reason), your first bill includes the month that was just finished *and* the next upcoming month.

9. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

That oddball reason is because it's beneficial to ATTs cashflow to bill fixed charges in advance. Never mind if it's detremental to yours, just so long as they're ok, eh? :rolleyes:

10. aneftp macrumors 601

so does ATT pro-rate and refund you money when you cancel?

Ok, so it's obvious ATT like other carriers pro-rate your first monthly bill and than bill one month in advance.

Question. Say if you bill ends on the 20th of the month. You decided to cancel your ATT bill the 22nd of the month. and your bill is normally $100. Since you prepaid one month in advance, will ATT refund you 28/30 days of the $100 if you cancel your contract (assuming you are out of contract?).

Sprint screwed me a few years ago when I left them on the 26th of the month. My monthly contract started on the 24th of the month and I just paid them $90 for the next month and never got the pre-paid money back.

11. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

How is it explained on your bill? My bill broke down all the charges including the pro rated portion.

12. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

With all the recent postings by new 3G owners, it is clear that Apple's new pricing strategy is working. At $199, people are buying iphones without even thinking about the costs of the service plan.

13. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

What you paid for the next month's service is applied to the ETF and then you are charged the remainder.

TEG

14. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Wow. Just when I was flirting with getting an iPhone and going back to &%#@ AT&T... you post this.

That is why I left them. Same with DirecTV. My "Starting at $29.99" plan always seemed to be $79 ("Well sir, you have two DVRs, you need programming for those so you can see what's on, you have local channels and wanted premium channels like ESPN...").

*******s. :mad:

Both are on my "Enemy List".

Now I have an unlocked phone and pre-paid T-Mobile. I pay $100 every eight months! :D

15. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

All that is not being realized it the pre-pay nature of at&t's service. Next month's bill will be $150, just as expected.

TEG

16. Ferret macrumors newbie

Sprint did the same thing to me when the original iPhone came out. And to add insult to injury, I had to pay another $175 for early contract cancellation.

I switched to a family plan (another open account) on 8/5/08, and AT&T refunded my money. Well, not exactly. I just got another bill with a $71 credit balance. So I guess they'll prorate your refund. I suppose they'll send me a check someday.

17. Trent0341 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replys... I didn't know they charged for the upcoming month as well. That's were my confusion was.

18. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

The Rosetta Stone was the key to modern understanding of hieroglyphic writing, so probably best not to use that analogy...

19. gLaDiAtOr73 macrumors member

sorry to bump an old thread but can someone explain to me why you pay ahead on an upgrade with att? i understand for new customers, but not an upgrade. i already paid ahead 1 month when i signed up 2 years ago, so why pay ahead for another month on an upgrade? i kept the same rate plan, i just upgraded to a 3gs on a family talk plan if that helps. so basically now i will be paid ahead for 2 months, right?