Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hendrik84

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
I'll be getting the new 27" in January for my wife.

She'll be using it mostly for business work, working in pages, numbers, office, and similar stuff. Nothing hardcore, no games or heavy photo editing.

So my question is, are the extra 200$ really worth it? It doesn't really seem like a huge improvement anyway, 0.3GHz (x4 = 1.2?). And the better video card, isn't that pretty much useless for her needs?

Besides, where I live, the extra cost is about 400 bucks(not just 200).

What say ye? :confused:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I'll be getting the new 27" in January for my wife.

She'll be using it mostly for business work, working in pages, numbers, office, and similar stuff. Nothing hardcore, no games or heavy photo editing.

So my question is, are the extra 200$ really worth it? It doesn't really seem like a huge improvement anyway, 0.3GHz (x4 = 1.2?). And the better video card, isn't that pretty much useless for her needs?

Besides, where I live, the extra cost is about 400 bucks(not just 200).

What say ye? :confused:

The base model would be more then enough.

Kutuzov

macrumors member
May 14, 2012
I had the money I just didn't think I'd ever have any use for a better processor or graphic card, so I ended up ordering a 27" iMac without those upgrades. However, I upgraded the RAM to 16GB (people will say this is crazy and you should do it yourself) and I chose a Fusion Drive. Fusion Drive is the kind of thing you _will_ notice even if you don't play games or do heavy photo editing.

You are in my spot exactly (I may even do some stuff that requires a little more occasionally, like some stuff in Mathematica).

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
Don't spend money on RAM, GPU or CPU. If you want to upgrade anything, upgrade to the Fusion Drive.

And in 1-2 years from now, you'll install 32 GB of RAM your self, shouldn't cost more than 700 DKK (Denmark's just a guess :) ).

starscript

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2012
Glasgow, Scotland
if you want the iMac to fun smooth better just add the fusion drive and maybe some RAM (8Gb should be fine for word processing and watching movies) when it's delivered.

i have put a home made cheep knock off fusion drive in the pc i have just built for my partner to replace her 5 year old vista laptop, she really happy with it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.