27" 2011 -> dual-link MDP-DVI adapter -> Dell 30" problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nightfly13, Jul 22, 2011.

1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I'm having some weirdness with my monoprice mini-display port to dual-link DVI adapter on my 30". The problems seem exacerbated by Lion, but I'm not certain the new OS is a contributing factor. Hard to replicate the issues.

I remember reading somewhere about wake from sleep issues, I've had that once, where my Dell 30" acted as though it wasn't getting a signal from the 27" when I woke it up (the power button was red, not blue like when it's receiving a signal). I also had the screen go totally fuzzy (like an analog tv) twice - a full screen of small black and white static. That just happened a moment ago, no idea what prompted it.

I also had a problem with custom desktop backgrounds on the external. By custom I just mean family pics dragged over from iPhoto. The one I had up earlier just went gray (a full desktop of gray) despite it showing up in the desktop settings as being there normally, I'd change the stretch to fit or whatever and it just stayed gray. I rebooted and the screen just came back as black (but blue light indicating it was getting a signal from the iMac) so I removed and replaced the cable from the iMac and it reappeared (after messing up my app layout, of course) but the background was sort of water color blurred. I could drag apps around (and the apps appeared normal) but there was like a blurry variant of the background behind it, and the shadow or border of the app I was dragging around warp the background. Guess I should have taken a few screen shots.

So then I right clicked and changed backgrounds to one of the Apple nature ones (flamingos) and it's normal - for the time being.

Sorry I haven't described the problem terribly clearly or succinctly, I've had quite a number of issues (no signal after waking, gray screen, black screen, warpy watercolor screen). I hope it's not because I cheaped out with monoprice dual-link DVI adapter instead of the $100 Apple one... it's working normally right now...

2. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Oh I replicated part of the problem. When I put a portrait picture in 'tile' orientation, that's when the image gets all blurry and off. In Fill Screen, it's normal.

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

I can only suggest that it might be because of your monoprice cable. Dell's don't play nice with some if you're unlucky. My U2311H's didn't place nice with a Mini Display Port to Display Port cable by monoprice - couldn't wake up from sleep or power on. Fixed by buying cables from Circuit Assembly.

I don't think you have to go all-out in buying an Apple active cable, just look for a place other than monoprice.