27" 2015 iMac- upgrade choices ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mjoshi123, Oct 13, 2015.

1. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Currently I'm using 2012 Macmini with 1.5TB of Samsung SSD + 16GB RAM + i7 Quad Core in it. I'm now looking to upgrade with 2015 device.
    My main usage is Photo Editing and slideshows creation as a professional photographer.
    I've two questions for 27" iMac in terms of upgrade options
    1) RAM - Is RAM upgradeable in iMac, it used to be easy upgrades in past but not sure if that is still the case with 2015 iMAc. I may go with 8GB of RAM and buy more aftermarket on my own if it is upgradeable.

2) Choice between 512GB SSD v/s 2TB Fusion Drive.
    Which one give better performance. Normally I like to keep project I'm working on in my internal drive. Once completed with the work I upload everything to Amazon Drive online as well as to External Backup drive.

Normal Wedding shoots yields anywhere from 60-90GB of data so having internal space available is good.

Any advise ?

2. Aspekt macrumors member

1. Yes, the RAM is easily upgradable. You can find the steps at: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201191
    2. It really comes down to personal preferences and the type of the file you work on on a daily bases. I opted for a 1TB SSD because the files I work on are big and I don't want to be transferring them to the external hard drive every time I am done with 1 file.

3. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

I would go with an internal SSD. I would not use a mechanical drive in an iMac. The display is glued and it's a pain to change it yourself. If you need more space, get an external HDD or SSD.

4. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

what do you normally store in your HD? if your HD is typically around 50% - 60% full and your photo dump is 10% - 20% of the 512 GB SSD... well you do the math. RAW files are only getting larger from here on out. i'd say get the 1 TB SSD

never used Fusion drive before so i can't say with certainty. but thinking it through, Fusion does not sound like a good solution if you are moving that much data around.

5. mjoshi123, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Thank you all for your response. Looks like 512GB SSD is the way to go for now ?
    Or is it easier to get the Fusion drive and then replace HD portion of fusion drive with SSD ?