27" 3.2 GHz i3/12 GB iMac not working right(2010 model)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AndrewThomas8, Apr 6, 2012.

1. AndrewThomas8 macrumors newbie

Hi, I just bought a brand new iMac (it was still sealed just the previous line from 2010). Here's the specs

3.2 GHz i3
    12 GB RAM 1333 GHz (the RAM is all the same brand, got an 8 GB (2x4) kit from crucial to go with original 4 GB (2x2)
    1 TB HD 7200 speed
    27" screen

I thought this would be faster than my older 3.06 GHz core 2 duo/4GB RAM iMac but that one seemed faster. This one seems slowed down, it lags and just works different. The colored ball rolls a lot too which is weird as my core 2 duo never did that. I verified the HD in disk utility and it says it's ok. I verified disk permissions and theres problems with that but it wont repair all of it? Could that be the problem? There's also a slight noise like the HD is maybe doing something or something making a little noise. I'm disappointed because I was hoping this machine would be faster. The screen is beautiful lol. Any help is appreciated. I do have apple coverage until 2013 but I'd rather fix it myself if I can because I don't wanna haul it into the mall lol. Thanks!

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Call up Apple and see what they think. Try to get it replaced if you bought it recently. It shouldn't be slow at all. HDD may be failing and making all that noise you hear. But yeah, haul that iMac to the mall! iMac HDDs are hard to replace, so I wouldn't do it myself unless it was out of warranty and it was the last resort.