27" 3.2 or 3.4 on resale

Discussion in 'iMac' started by g33, Oct 10, 2013.

1. g33 macrumors 6502

I have just ordered the 3.2 with a fusion drive and was thinking that perhaps when I come to sell it in a few years nobody will want to buy a used base 3.2 but would at least look for a 3.4ghz version for what would perhaps be just a little more in cost on the used market.

It's about £150 more for the 3.4 new but with it your get the faster CPU and graphics. Seems relatively worth it? However, I do not game or will rarely put the iMac through intensive tasks hence why I initially ordered the 3.2.

So I guess if if everyone gets their crystal ball out, when it comes to resale what's better? I'm assuming that a used 3.4 would at least get £50 more back on resale and would be easier to sell?

2. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

Yea I am also debating between the 3.2 vs 3.4. I rarely do any processor intensive tasks. Most of the time I am browsing safari, have mail open, itunes, and pages for word processing. I still am leaning more towards the 3.4 with 2gb gpu not just because it would be nice to have it in the rare case I would need it , but also resale value in a few years down the line. I guess it all depends on how long you plan to keep it. If you must upgrade every year to have the latest and greatest then it might be worth it. I expect to get at least 5 years out of my machine though, so by then who knows what it will be worth. I had my 2007 c2d 20" for 5 years before selling if for only 1/4 what i paid for it.

3. kgian macrumors regular

I guess the 3.4 is going to have a better resale value, not because of the 0.2ghz but because of the signifantly better gpu.

4. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree but will it be relative to what I paid for the 3.2ghz?

Or theoretically will nobody want to buy the 3.2 due to the graphics as a used machine in the future unless it's markedly cheaper?!

5. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sod it. Cancelled the 3.2 and ordered the 3.4 now :/