27" ACD: $1000 - 50" Panasonic 3D Plasma 1080p: $900 - Hmm....?????

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ahheck01, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

This is probably a dumb question - maybe not. I love screen real estate. What disadvantages would a 50" Plasma have vs. a 30" Cinema display that would offset the huge advantage of a big screen that has multiple uses (Home theater, etc)? I understand it has a little bit lower resolution than the Cinema display, but how sweet would a high-end 50" plasma be?

I'm missing something blatantly obvious, aren't I?

2. SidBala macrumors 6502a

The 1080p plasma doesn't have just a little bit lower resolution. The ADC has almost double the screen estate. So it is pretty substantial.

Remember that the screen estate goes as the square of the linear dimension (the <>p number). So it may not seem much of a difference comparing 1080p and 1440p, but the difference is large.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

TVs are pretty difficult to work with as computer monitors in general. Overscan is obnoxious, Text and images scale very poorly, and it looks fuzzy in general. So if you're planning on using it primarily as a monitor, get an actual monitor. Not sure I'd get the ACD though.

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Plasma and LCD/LED are 1:1 so overscan is a non issue. The OP isn't talking about DLP or RPCRT which have overscan (DLP not so much in most models, RPCRT in all models).

to the OP, get what works best for you.

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Stop right there. Screen real estate is not about inches or dot per inch, it's about pixels. More pixels = more real estate.

The 27" ACD has more pixels.

End of story.

6. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I disagree. I use a 50 in plasma and I just shut the lid for the macbook pro and run it on the TV no over scan problems at all. It does lag a bit but worth it for me full screen netflix and hulu is AMAZING