27" ACD and PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KyleKlink, Sep 15, 2010.

1. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

Im thinking of building a PC and want to have a nice monitor to connect it to. The 27" ACD seems ideal as I am used to the screen on my 27" iMac (which I will be selling). Reading through the specs of the ACD it almost seems like it wouldn't work with a PC.

Will it be possible to connect a PC to the 27" ACD with some sort of adapter? It seems illogical to limit the display to only Mac devices.

2. valmar macrumors member

valmar

Yes, it is possible as long as you use the right adapters and cables.

Take a look at the ports of your graphic card. If it has HDMI, DVI or DisplayPort, you can use an adapter to convert it to Mini DisplayPort (That's what your ACD uses).

Your graphic card should also be able to run a high resolution of 2560x1440.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

4. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

I have a DVI to mini-display port adapter that I use to connect my MBP to my Dell monitor. Would that work? It would just be working in reverse of what it does now.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That won't because you need a female miniDP, and that adapter is male. Converting DVI to miniDP requires an expensive active adapter

6. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

Could you point me towards such an adapter? Link to one?

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Here is one. Doubtful you could find one cheaper, as it will require dual link dvi, so you would have to buy the display and a $200 adapter...

8. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

Ouch. I'm going to pass on the ACD then. You'd think a higher level of compatibility would be beneficial. Oh well.

9. valmar macrumors member

valmar

I had a similar problem and I solved it by buying a new graphic card with display port (Ati radeon 5750). Then I bought a mini display port to display port adapter (cheap).

Both together costed me around 120 bucks having a new graphic card and the possibility to use a ACD.

10. Vice92 macrumors regular

As valmar said, the better route is to definitely get a graphics card with a display port, rather than having to use an adapter (which is about $179).

11. valmar macrumors member

valmar

The price of the adapter depends on the resolution required.
    For higher solutions like 2560x1440, the 27" ACD uses, you need the atlona dp-400 which costs 199 bucks.
    For lower ones (like single link DVI) you are fine with the atlona dp-200 which is a little cheaper.

But as already said, buying a new graphic card would make most sense.

12. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

Yeah that sounds like a much better idea. Since I don't yet have the computer (I plan on building it next month) I can easily change the video card in my order. Thanks for the tip.

13. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

There are also a couple video cards out there that have mini-dp built in. No adapter necessary

Cheapest one I found on newegg: Link

14. valmar macrumors member

valmar

Hey, thanks for that link. Great post!

Getting the similar XFX Radeon HD 5750 700M ($129) + Adapter ($10) might be a bit cheaper tho (around 30 bucks).

To be honest, I'd spit on those 30 dollars and get the one with a build-in mDP xD