27 ACD, driver 1.0 ( need some clarity)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wing1, Sep 29, 2010.

1. wing1 macrumors newbie

hi guys,
    i was wondering if someone can clarify what this driver update means.

Its been stated in many websites that it will have windows support. Does that mean i can just plug this monitor into my windows machine and everything will work. Like the cam, mic and speakers?

Or does this really mean, running bootcamp is the only way.

after that driver update was release I got my hope up high in regards to me buying this display.

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

3. wing1 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the response. i hope someone can confirm it for me.

I will track all reviews thats coming soon.

4. Ashok0 macrumors regular

Well, according to Anandtech, there is no way to get an Apple LED Cinema Display 27" working correctly on a PC because the required Windows display driver also requires Boot Camp 3.1 which is not "officially" available on PC.

However, if you run D:\Drivers\Apple\BootCamp64.msi on your Snow Leopard DVD, Boot Camp 3.0 will install on your PC.

Next, you can update from Boot Camp 3.0 to 3.1 using the official Apple update available here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL979?viewlocale=en_US

Once you have Boot Camp 3.1 installed, you can install the new Apple LED Cinema 27" driver on your PC, which is available here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1068

I now have a Boot Camp Control Panel icon in Windows 7 on my PC, and clicking it brings up a "Brightness" bar. This has been confirmed to make the LED Cinema Display 24" work with full functionality so I can only assume that the same holds true for the new LED Cinema Display 27".

I'll report back once I pick one of these bad boys up from my local Apple store this weekend. :)

5. wing1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh thats such great info Ashok, i will see if i can get bootcamp running on my machine. Just a windows 7 with nothing Mac.

Can wait to hear from you next week! i just gotta put the pieces together to have the whole picture.

after 10 years i am sick of staring at the DELL logo!

6. Ashok0 macrumors regular

Well according to sswitze1 from this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11160451#post11160451

It appears the Boot Camp drivers do NOT work correctly with the Apple LED Cinema Display 27" on PC. Guess I may be holding off on that ACD 27" purchase. :(

Edited: Went ahead and purchased an ACD27" anyways. Will post results on my PC next week hopefully!

7. wing1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ash, i been tracking these threads too! i see you over at hardforum aswell. I just hope in the next week a hero will appear and do a full write up on how to get it to work with PC.

I am sure you read some threads about some yellowing in the ACD.

Def keep us updated, you can be our hero! i am getting deperate enough to build a hackintosh......:( my buddies said i am crazy to do all this for a monitor.
    I guess aesthetics really got to me for the monitor.