27 ACD... this alone is worth it!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macagain, Dec 28, 2010.

1. macagain macrumors regular

i guess applies to 24 too...

Attached Files:

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

To save 1 USB connection? A 20 dollar USB hub does the same thing.

But to make it look better? Totally worth 1000.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

First of all, monitors don't require a USB connection.

Second, almost all PC monitors have usb ports built in.

Third, PC monitors work with macs, but mac monitors don't work with PC's.

4. Ashok0, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

Ashok0 macrumors regular

Huh? That's blatantly false, vistadude. With the exception of the DELL U3011, no PC monitor I have ever used had built in USB ports. Also, Mac monitors DO work fine with PCs. I own an Apple LED Cinema Display 27" and it works flawless on my PC. LED brightness control. iSight Camera and Mic. Built-in speakers. USB ports. All working perfectly. Technically, there is no such thing as a "Mac monitor". Apple builds monitors. They work on Macs and PCs. :D

5. nizmoz, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

nizmoz macrumors 65816

Very few do. Not almost all.

And per Apple: "If your graphics card supports DVI with DDC technology for widescreen viewing, you should be able to connect your PC to any Cinema Display".

On a side note. I want to make a suggestion for you. Stop posting wrong info like you have been on other posts till you know MACS better. You just your first one yourself and it seems you don't know much about them.

6. avro707 macrumors 6502a

it has a MagSafe power connector too - so you can power your MacBook Pro through the screen!

My old 20" A1081 Cinema Display ran with a PC for almost its entire life.

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

Almost all dell and hp monitors have USB ports built in, and many have speakers too. Well whatever, apple and mac word confusion - it's those dang "i'm a mac" and pc commericals with the webcam that confused me :D

8. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Again not almost all as we just got a bunch of new HP and Dells in and no USBs. So stop saying almost or all. Very FEW do. :rolleyes:

9. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

All of the Dell Professional series and Ultrasharp series have USB ports, usually 4 of them. And, unlike the ACD, they offer tilt, rotate, and height adjustments. Stop comparing the ACD to the cheap consumer Dell and HP monitors and start comparing it to its real competition.

10. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

beautiful! My friend wants to sell his 17" Pro to fund a 27" iMac. I keep telling him to buy the 27" ACD. he just wont listen.

11. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I am aware of that. But he is saying All monitors. Just correcting. Only a few monitors have them from each manufacture. I own a old Dell 2405FPW and it has USB's.

12. toxic macrumors 68000

just about all recent monitors will work with whatever OS or hardware you choose, provided you have the right input (VGA/HDMI/DVI/DP), and you can buy an adapter for the right input if something is missing.

I'm not sure there is a high-end display that doesn't have USB ports on it.

the recent ACDs are not a great value. they don't do height adjustment or pivot, for starters, which just about every other high-end monitor does do. there is no OSD for contrast or RGB or all sorts of other controls. you buy it for the looks, glossy screen, and integration with Macbooks, not because it's a great monitor for its cost. the older aluminum ACDs were a little better value-wise simply because there was less competition at the time, particularly the 23 and 30" models.