27" ACD vs Dell U2410?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Orlandoech, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I know the differences between the two spec wise, looks and size.

But anyone have experience with both? I know the Dell is IPS Panel and Matte/AntiGlare while the 24" Apple Cinema Display is glossy but which do you prefer and why?

Im debating on a 27" ACD but currently have the Dell U2410 and Im not sure if its worth the $ to switch?

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

If it wasn't going to break the bank, I'd go the extra mile for the ACD. Complements the Macbook range excellently.

If money's tight, the U2711 would win.

3. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Well I think I could get an easy $300 or so fro my current Dell U2410 and put it towards the 27" ACD. Just not sure if its actually worth it in a sense for 3 more inches.

4. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

If you have your desk setup in a bright room, the glass can be a bit annoying with heavy glare but the display is bright enough to compensate thankfully.

I use my ACD with a late 2010 13" MacBook Pro and there is zero lag and minimal issues with refresh timing. The color space used is RGB4444 and a joy overall. Just plug in to your mdp or mdp/tb port and you're up and running.

Before any work use with mine, I made sure the backlighting was uniform and as expected, solid grey background (huge canvas in Photoshop)

The only oddity I noticed was a slight flicker at very low brightness levels but at those levels, it's very rare that you would run into that on the average day even with auto brightness enabled. The built in iSight is not the higher resolution as the newer FaceTime camera employed in the new portables and updated iMac models, a bit of a letdown considering the cost. I'm sure the ACD will be updated in the future, but as it stands at the moment, I feel no regrets buying mine only late last month.

5. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Thanks for the input!

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Had 3 2410s went to 2 ACDs and regretted not doing it sooner. The clarity vs the Dell is amazing the first time you see it. Since Apple no longer has a restocking fee, I bought one realized even with my windows glare was a non issue so ordered the 2nd.