27" ACD Vs Dell U2711

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lucagfc, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Lucagfc macrumors 6502

Hi

I want to buy a 27" monitor for my Mac Pro and I have to decide between ACD 27" and Dell U2711.

I have a preference for the Dell monitor for the price (half the price of ACD).

What I want to understand is the true quality of the Dell monitor.

I' ve used a 27" iMac for 4 months and i really love the display apart from the yellow tint problems!

So, having loved the iMac display(glossy), I find myself well with the Dell?

the impression of extreme definition that you have with the iMac remains with the Dell despite the matte finish?

Thanks a lot!

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Search the forum, this has been answered a few times over.

3. jjahshik32, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've been debating this as well but HOW ARE YOU GETTING IT AT HALF THE PRICE?!?

I found a coupon that expires this monday but its at $825 + free shipping (probably tax will be added to it) for the Dell U2711.

4. dimme macrumors 65816

I would go with the Dell for sure, better color, better warranty, better price, & more flexible.

5. toxic macrumors 68000

the Dell is wide-gamut, which can lead to gross oversaturation in non-color-managed software and images, including OS X itself. it has a matte screen, ergonomic adjustments, and better support...but it's not half the price, it's about the same.

6. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Here in Italy the ACD coast 1099 € and the Dell U2711 it's only 630 €

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

The Dell is better value for money, however I would go for the ACD if cost is not the biggest factor.
    One caveat is the glossy display, would a glossy suit your environment?

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I don't know about the Dell, but I can tell you my experience. I had an EIZO HD2442W 24" monitor which I replaced with the 27" ACD. The EIZO monitor was really perfect. Picture quality and features are really great. However, when I got the ACD I was very impressed. Apple knows how to make designs that impress. My office felt empty with the ACD on it. With the EIZO monitor my office felt full and I had the impression I have no space. Despite getting a bigger monitor, the ACD has such a great design that it made my office look just perfect.
    The picture quality of the ACD is also very good and I find the glossy display not to be an issue. I also love the high resolution of the display.
    As I said I cannot compare it with the Dell, but just remember that it isn't only about the price. The whole package has to work well.

9. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi

In fact for me the price is a very important aspect. I loved my iMac 27" for the time that I used it (obviously apart from the problem of non-uniformity).

So I wan' t to buy something that allows me to have the same satisfaction (or similar satisfaction :) ).

I love the Apple design. ACD is really beautiful and is a wonderful piece of technology. But for me the price difference (about 700 $) in really really high!!

What I would like to know is if the quality of the ACD is so much more to be worth $ 700 more!

Thanks!

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I got mine for 950€ from Amazon.de. I would say that 300€ difference can be justified, but 700$ is just too much. Think about it. At the end of the day get that monitor that suits your needs more.

11. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks petvas you suggestion are really useful!

The problem is that I never had the opportunity to try a matte display.

In addition, at the moment, I could spend 600 € and not 1000 €!

So the choice seems simple but I prefer to not buy anything rather than being dissatisfied

12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Between the two I would go with the Dell because 1) price 2) non-glossy and 3) wide-gamut. Wide gamut may or may not be useful but if you are a serious photographer then wide-gamut non-glossy is a better choice because you will see what is actually there, not a glossy sexed up version. Photographers, especially nature photographers like myself, prefer to see everything that is there in terms of color spectrum... but for regular use wide gamut might be a not so good unless you are willing to properly calibrate and color manage your work. However, the ACD has the built in speakers and camera which also have many benefits.

One person above mentioned Eizo which is much better than either, same with NEC and LaCie monitors - I own a NEC myself and sold my 27" iMac to get it. But, I am one of those people that understands and can use this type of display for my work. If you just want big and beautiful and also want to save some money then the Dell would be my first choice as I don't like glossy.

13. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I mentioned the Eizo before. Surely a great monitor but as I said its design isn't as good as the one of the ACD. Of course for people that do serious work with colors there are other criteria that are more important. For a normal consumer the ACD is stunning. The design, the resolution and the tight integration with the Mac make it a winner. I enjoy having iSight and using it with my Mac Pro. I enjoy the integrated speakers who do the job just fine.
    To the OP, if you don't have the money for an ACD then just buy the Dell if you need a monitor now. If you don't and can wait till you have the money, then wait and get an ACD.

14. olliemycat macrumors newbie

Dell monitors

Beware of banding issues with Dell's monitors.

See

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19301644.aspx

I have a Dell U2410 and discovered serious banding problems, which are very annoying when working with images, especially in PS. I tried repeatedly to solve the problem with Dell, who sent me 3 (THREE!) replacements, which all had the same issue. When I returned the third one, I went past the 30-day get-your-money-back policy, so I was stuck. I was extremely furious that the company allowed this particular monitor to ever get out the door. I will never do business with Dell again. If you have problems with your new Dell, GET YOUR MONEY BACK. Don't fiddle with them on sending you a replacement... which may not solve your problem.

15. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

I do not think that owners complain about this problem. Anyone with the Dell have banding problem?

16. dimme macrumors 65816

I have a Ezio at work which is a perfect display. (I do printing and photoshop work) At home I have a Dell U2410 which is almost perfect. I am super picky about my monitors. I have no banding issues with the Dell. I say its almost perfict because when I measure the screen with my colorrimeter the center is a bit brighter than the edges. But I paid $500 for the Dell and the Ezio was a few thousand.
    I guess there is a few bad Dells out there but I also hear complaints about the ADC.

17. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

ive a macpro and thinking of getting the led cinema from apple
    wondering if the mic n cam inbuilt works with the mac pro and is there an extension for the cable to macpro since mines on the floor.

18. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

The camera and mic will work as long as the cinema display is hooked up to the Mac Pro.

Also you can get the extension cable of the mini display port from monoprice.com for about $10. I got 2 of them. LOL.

19. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

I' m going to buy a monitor. My focus in on the monitor quality and not on the secondary function.

I am not prepared to spend $ 600 more just for speakers and microphone!

I focus my attention only on display quality: now I can not afford ACD but if Dell is not a good alternative i prefer to buy anything

20. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Then maybe this review will help you: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3946/apple-27inch-led-cinema-display-review

I am not a photographer and I use my computer for normal computing tasks and I find the quality of the ACD to be great.

21. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

I' ve read many reviews about ACD and also a lot of Dell U2711 review. Both are great monitor. What I wan' t to understand is a feedback from users in my condition who have always used glossy monitor and want to understand if the lack of glossy finish is a big problem or not.

I' m also an amateur photographer and I use Aperture so the matte finish could be a good thing!

What scares me is that some friends told me that on some monitors NEC 2560 x 1440 matte finish seems to have lower resolution with that matte finish! it' s a true suggestion?

22. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I always hated glossy displays. I always believed that Matte is much better till I got the ACD. The glossy display doesn't bother me at all. Of course it all depends on the room you are going to put the monitor. If you can control the lighting then the glossy display won't be an issue. On the other hand the glossy display looks amazing.

I don't know about the resolution thing on matte displays but I find it hard to believe.

23. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

I use it in 2 room (I move my desk every 6 month between 2 rooms) and in one room I' ve a windows exactly behind monitor and in the second room there is windows behind me (the monitor users). In this situation I think that the matte display could be better?

24. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

If the windows is exactly behind you, then get a matte display. In my room the window is on the left of the ACD and I use curtains to control the light. If you don't have any curtains or do not want to lower the light, then get a matte display.