27" ACD washed out from angel.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MyRumors, Jan 21, 2011.

1. MyRumors macrumors member

Hi,

just got an 27" ACD.
    When i view it from the side the colors get kinda washed out and the backlight sort of shine through. This is most noticeable on black. This does not happen when viewing from above or front.
    Also on black i see some light leak in the two bottom corners. This is noticeable when sitting directly in from of it. Are these things normal or should i return it ?

Thanks

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The only screen that I have owned that has had an issue with an imperfect screen was my old 2.2GHz MacBook. That was my first computer, and I didn't know it was a defect. It is a good idea for you to come here to this forum, because the panels that they use on those ACD's and iMacs have been plagued with issues. If you have the patience, go back to the store, and exchange it for a new one. If that one is not perfect, exchange it again (and so on and so on...) Be persistent if you have the time, patience, and a need for the screen to be perfect....

3. Maniia macrumors newbie

Hey, does it look anything like this?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1079993

An issue I have with my 24".
    It's at the store atm, where trying to fix it I suppose, because I got this status update (waiting for spare parts). I heard it should be fixable, else you'll get a new one. From what I understand it's a "common" problem :/ I'm just glad I got 2½ of Apple Care left, as I guess it's not the last time it will happen, but I hope so, I miss my baby :p

4. MyRumors thread starter macrumors member

i dont not have there problems you link to, only with the backlight.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That "issue" is completely normal for the newer ACD's and very common amongst consumer grade IPS panels.
    The glow effect you see is due to a missing polarizer and can not be fixed.

Here is a comparison between two IPS displays, one with a polarizer, the other one without.

[​IMG]

Image taken from http://nec2490.blogspot.com/

6. MyRumors thread starter macrumors member

Ah i see thanks for the info.

How about the light leak from the corners when viewed from front? should i be worried about this or is this all normal on these displays ?

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

You mean the edges are a little bit lighter than in the centre of the display?

That is indeed normal as well, to a certain extent at least. Can you make a picture?

BTW: The TIMG tag above doesn't work (for whatever reason), just click the broken IMG link.

8. MyRumors thread starter macrumors member

You can see from this picture that the corners, especially the lower right one it "leaks light" on this black image on the screen.

Attached Files:

9. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Although I find that quite extreme, I think its normal. Some people exchanged their 27" displays a few times and didn't get a better display.

However, you can always try to get a replacement. Shouldn't be a big deal in the store.

10. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

There is a simple way to test if the light in the corners is normal or not:

1.) When you stand further back from the display, does it diminish/disappear?

2.) If you move your head from left to right, does the size of the light leakage in the corners change?

If you answered yes to either of these two, then the light you see is part of the IPS glow, and not backlight leakage. In other words, its normal, and every other ADC you replace it with will have the same issue. If the light does not change no matter what you do, then you may have backlight leakage, and you might want to consider returning the display.

11. MyRumors thread starter macrumors member

hmm yes it does change so i guess its normal then.
    it really doesn't annoy me that much i only notice it on the sleep screen (and thats black). but good to know there is notting out of the ordinary with mine.

its a little strange that apple doesn't apply this polarizer since this is a premium display, but oh well.

thx for the info :)