27" and photo print differences

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rhobes, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hi All-

I'm thinking others must have this problem. I have a 27" iMac 2.8 GHz Quad Core i7. The monitor is bright but calibrated with i1 Display 2 and Coloreyes Display Pro software. When I do a soft proof before printing I still get darker prints then what I want. Is there any way to arrive at a method that will show me the brightness or how much more brightness I need to add to the image before printing? It always looks correct on the monitor but always prints much darker.

I didn't have the problem until I upgraded to this new iMac from my old one. I'm using an Epson Stylus Photo 925 ( but I don't think the printer has any bearing on this problem).

Any ideas, tips etc appreciated-
    Rhobes

2. dimme macrumors 65816

What is you brigntness setting? It should be between 100 to 120 cd/m2

3. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Here is some more info:

I did run the monitor calibration, all seemed well with that. Some of the specifics of it are: LUMINANCE 118 cd/m2, GAMMA set "L" a recommended value derived by ColorEyes, BLACK POINT .17 cd/m2, COLOR TEMP X=.2986 y=.3277, 7540K.

I'm using a Epson Stylus Pro 925, photo printer. Print settings in CS5 are: ProPhoto RGB, CS5 Manages color, Relative Colorimetric, Black point compensation: ON, Borderless Premium Glossy Photo Paper. Printer settings: Color Management: OFF.

4. dimme macrumors 65816

It's hard to say what going on. The monitor looks to be set up right. I wounder if you have a different printer profile with your new setup.

5. jinkikim macrumors newbie

I measured the luminance of my 27” iMac i5 by Spyder Pro 2.

- Full brightness (16 dots: 357 cd/m2
    - 50% brightness (8 dots: 121 cd/m2)

Typically 100 ~ 120 cd/m2 is suggested for photo.

My target is 100 cd/m2 after comparing with printed photos. The brightness control (i.e. 0 dots to 16 dots) using F1/F2 keys is very coarse. I achieved 100 cd/m2 by setting 0.46 brightness with script (or you could do by controlling a slider in display control menu).

If you don’t have a calibration tool, I would recommend you to start with slightly lower than 50% brightness, and then repeat fine adjustments to get your target.

Good Luck!