27" Apple Cinema display w/ Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by morryh, May 14, 2011.

1. morryh macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if Apple will soon release a 27" Cinema Display with 1 or more Thunderbolt ports? I just bought a MBP with Thunderbolt, and I would like to use it and a Thunderbolt Cinema Display, and sell my iMac. Also would like to daisy chain from the Cinema Display to a big TB hard drive. Any knowledge out there would be appreciated.

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The Thunderbolt devices (that have been previewed) will support daisy chaining to a display, no real need for Apple to change the 27" ACD.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is likely coming soon, to allow multiple displays from a single Thunderbolt port, but it is unlikely to be announced ahead of time. You can also suspect that any update to the ACD's will omit the USB cable, and just use Thunderbolt to sent USB/Firewire signals to the display.

TEG

4. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

And what, the people who don't have a new 2011 MacBook Pro will be SOL and can't use the USB hub and iSight?

If anything, the ACD will be updated such that since it's Thunderbolt-equipped, it doesn't have to be at the end of the display chain and you'll be able to add other Thunderbolt devices. That'd make it a lot easier to keep the ACD display connectors closer to the MBP because the power connector is right there.