27'' Apple LED Display + 2008 Macpro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ggoerl, Sep 30, 2010.

1. ggoerl macrumors regular

So I am aware that if I buy one of the new Apple LED display's that the dvi connector is not compatible with my Macpro and I would be forced to buy an adapter which range from 100+ dollars as well as they dont work that great from what I've heard. My graphics card is currently the Nvidia 8800 GT, and I am looking to upgrade it if possible so I am able to hook the display up with out going through the hassle of an adapter.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you do anything GPU intensive such as gaming? If you're on budget, then GT 120 is the best deal but if you do gaming or other stuff, then you should consider ATI 5770 or 5870.

3. ggoerl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I will probably get the 5770. Although I will hold off now since I have read bad reviews on the monitor due to its glare. So I will probably wait until the next update...who ever knows when that'll be.

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Ridiculous! The monitor is wonderful. Glare doesn't change its sharpness etc. Don't put it facing a window if it bothers you. I have a new Apple 27" 'glossy' LED sitting next to an Apple 30" 'matte' LCD. They both look phenomenal, and the new LED is even sharper.

If glare really bothers you, I wouldn't count on Apple revising it to a matte display any time soon. Go into a store and see for yourself. Taking my word of praise or anyone else's word of criticism shouldn't sway you. You are the one who gets to use it so go see what works for you!

5. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

6. ggoerl thread starter macrumors regular

True, I heard the colors are great and that the monitor is sharp. It just seemed that over half of the reviews were based about the glossiness of the screen being a negative. Guess I will have to head down to the store and check it out first hand.