27" Apple Thunderbolt Display compatible with Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad (2010)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SamWavy, Nov 3, 2011.

1. SamWavy macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a new monitor for my Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (August 2010 Model). Right now, it has (2) Mini Display ports in the back. If I buy the new Apple Thunderbolt Display 27", will the display work?

I'm really not looking to upgrade or buy a new mac pro whenever it comes out with the thunderbolt display inputs. Looks like they stopped selling the refurbished 27" Apple LED Cinema Display's and now my only option is to buy the Thunderbolt Display.

Let me know.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, the Thunderbolt displays require the computer have a Thunderbolt port.

3. yeungman macrumors newbie

The 27" LED Cinema Display is available in the Refurb store right now. They're also still selling them new.

4. shaun319 macrumors member

I am in the same boat. I have a 2010 15 inch macbook pro without thunderbolt. The thunderbolt displays only work with thunderbolt enabled macs. I am looking for a 27 inch or 24 inch refurbished apple cinema display. Waiting for them to become available on the apple store. I think that is the best deal for you too.

5. lickitysplit macrumors regular

I just purchased a 27" LED Cinema Display. I chose the ACD over the ATD because I wanted the monitor to work will all the computers I own. I have a 2010 15" Pro, 2011 Mini Server and a Desktop with a 6950. Currently it is connected to my custom built desktop. Personally the for me I'll never use the Thunderbolt technology for data transfer so at that point there was no differene between the displays.