27" Apple Thunderbolt Display or something else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fcortese, Sep 2, 2014.

1. fcortese, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I have a 4 yr old 15in MBP and a 6+ yr old 23" Apple HD cinema Display. I will be getting a new mid-2014 15' MBP once Yosemite comes out and I am looking to upgrade my old display as well. I've looked at Apple's 27 thunderbolt cinema display but I realize it is about 3 yr old technology and no one knows when Apple will decide to release an newer version or just jump to a 4K display (heavens knows what that will cost!) I like the built in Face Time camera and the compatibility with my peripherals (external 800FW HD, wired Apple keyboard, etc). However, before I drop some serious coin on this display or even a refurb, I'd like to know if there are any alternatives out there. Being able to connect my peripheral accessories and save the limited ports on the newer MBP is something I really would prefer to do. Oh, and I am really looking to use this more for photo handling and not gaming. so an IPS over a TN monitor, I guess? Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

2. Angriff macrumors member

I would wait on the September and possibly October Apple events to see if they release a higher resolution Thunderbolt display. With the 4K panels available now, it wouldn't be surprising to see them release one with something like the 24" 4K IPS panel than Dell uses or something similar along with Thunderbolt 2 support.

If nothing comes in those events, the aforementioned Dell display is probably a better purchase than the Apple Thunderbolt Display at this point in time. I think the model I'm referring to is something like Dell UP2414Q?

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Don't get the current Thunderbolt display. 2.0 USB ports, only TB1. It needs an update.

No way it's worth the money right now.

4. malandra macrumors regular

5. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There are many displays out there that are better than the Apple display unless you're focused on the Thunderbolt passthrough capabilities and include Ethernet, Firewire 800, and USB 2.0 ports.

There are many monitors I would suggest, but my favorite is the Dell UltraSharp line of monitors. Antiglare panels, tons of connectivity, awesome support and warranty. If you need a Thunderbolt dock of sorts, there are a few option on the market.

7. fcortese, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Thanks, but I'm upgrading to a 27 inch screen from my present 23 inch. I have looked at some Dell 27's but I'm not completely convinced as yet. I will probably wait another 7+ days for the Sept release of iPhone 6 and see what else they reveal. But I would think that they would not mix a computer product with a phone product. so it may be an October wait.

@alphaod: the Ultrasharps are what I was looking at. I guess I need to take a closer look. The thunderbolt display and transfer were nice especially since I have a 2TB external 800 FW HD for my photo libraries.

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

this one is also thunderbolt and gets good reviews: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8057/lg-34um95-monitor-review

Alternatively, I'd look at a dell ultrasharp. I wouldn't go for apple's display, as it is a bit overpriced right now.

9. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Just bought a 21:9 AOC display the other day. Something to think about, it's a 29". Has not arrived yet but saw a similar display at best buy and loved it.

10. austinpike macrumors 6502

The NEC would be fine for photography work. The review mentions no Adobe RGB - which the Apple display doesn't have either. (most reviews that mention aRGB fail to explain what it is or how to use it.) Basically unless you know you need aRGB (wide gamut) specifically for printing purposes, it is something to avoid.

Pretty much any 27" IPS panel (from $300 Korean imports to the $1000 Apple display) is going to cover 100% of the -standard- RGB (sRGB) spectrum. With the cheaper ones you have a bit more risk for IPS glow and possibly dead pixels, but the panels are essentially the same. You are mostly paying for build quality and warranty.

if you are OK with giving up the extra ports on the Apple, the Benq GW2765HT for $430 currently looks like a great deal from a reputable manufacturer with a 3-year warranty. If you are shopping Dell, look at the U2713HM. The more expensive U2713H is wide gamut. Just make sure whatever you get has Displayport (all but the very cheapest 27" models should have it) and all you'll need is a cheap miniDP -> DP cable to connect (assuming your current MBP has miniDP or TB.)

11. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Thanks Austin. I did get a good look at the Dell U2713HM and chatted with Dell a short while ago and did a quick youtube search as well. It looks like they're recommending the DVI connection for ?better performance when connecting to a MBP. The Dell chat guy suggested connecting to the T'bolt port. I'm guessing via the DVI>mini display adaptor. I can't find a DVI>TB adaptor on the Apple site. I was told that the miniDisplays do make the connection when placed into the T'bolt port.

12. Angriff macrumors member

There is absolutely no reason to pay for a mDP -> DVI adaptor when the monitor you buy has DisplayPort or mini DisplayPort connections. Whoever told you DVI would give "better performance" is full of ****.

13. austinpike macrumors 6502

Just to be clear, a Thunderbolt port will function as a mini DisplayPort when connected to a non-TB display - the physical connectors are the same. I can't fathom any reason to use the DVI input when the monitor has DisplayPort. There won't be any performance difference. (plus DP can carry the audio signal if your monitor has speakers built-in.) I think Dell (and PC manufacturers/CS reps in general) are simply unfamiliar with DP/miniDP/TB.

If for some reason you needed to get from either TB (or miniDP, same thing for this purpose) to DVI at a resolution over 1080p, you would need an active dual-link adapter for ~$100. (But as mentioned this is irrelevant in your case.)

14. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Thanks. That clears things up. It looks like the the Dell U2713HM has 1 In USB port and 3 outs. So am I correct in assuming that the "in" USB port is for devices like a wired keyboard or Wacom tablet or even connecting your iPad?

15. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

There are two main functions of the ATD. One is the obvious 27" IPS screen that is sRGB. It is nice for what it is.

The second main function is the Thunderbold dock with laptop charging, speakers, camera and mic, ethernet, USB 2 (OK for connect keyboards or mice), FW (never use it myself), and another TB port (where I string my data band backup drives.

If the user wants a display with an integrated TB dock, the list is very short. If the user does not care about the TB dock, the list of large high resolution IPS screens can be very long depending on desired resolution, and color space (sRGB, Adobe RGB,...etc)

I fully agree the ATD ain't cheap and it needs an update to higher resolution, TB2, USB 3, drop FW, and ideally to Adobe RGB. That said, if a user wants a 27" IPS screen with integrated docking station.......I am not aware of one competitor.

It goes back to having a serious list of requirements when monitor shopping. The looser the list....the longer the stream of potential candidates. :eek:

I would definitely be waiting until October before putting down any serious money on a monitor. Lets see if Apple comes through with a Retina iMac and Retina display unit.

16. jjahshik32, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I sold my 27" ACD 8 months ago and bought a Dell U2713H and absolute love this display. The color depth is much deeper and wider than the Cinema Display not to mention that its an anti glare as well as allowing you to use any other future computer with the Dell.

17. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

OK, I search and was able to download an owner's manual and the in or upstream USB port gets connected to the computer to activate the out or downstream USB ports. This obviously robs one of the MBP's USB ports but gives you 3 ports on the monitor and an additional one on the MBP.

Thanks, McA, I agree that the ATB is the type of set up that was my original ideal but I was balking at the price and the fact that it was out-of-date compared to the competitors. But I am in no rush and am exploring options and waiting until October to see what if anything Apple comes out with. I was just looking at spreading out the cost of a new MBP and a new display, i.e., pick up the display now and the MBP later. But wait and see is probably better in the long run and I can split the purchases later rather than sooner.

18. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If I remember Apple policy correctly. if you purchase a rMBP and an ATD at the same time, any AppleCare you get for the rMBP will also covers the ATD. So there is some advantage it purchasing both at the same time.

Lets hope we all set good news on IOS8 next week and some equally good news in October!

19. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I was looking around for a new monitor and am looking at high end 1080p screens and 4k screens, small size ones. And I found the following Apple support page, tells you how to get 4k on Dwll monitors with which connections, don't know if it helps you but basically use the display port

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht6008

On a side. It's is the Dell 24" 4K monitor any good? For general use and web browsing and some gaming? If I upgrade next year fancy getting the latest tech.