27" Cinema Display not working!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ifti, May 26, 2013.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

I have a 2010 27" Cinema Display (with 3 USB ports on the back) which was connected to a Mac Pro. The screen itself does not display anything. I've changed the power lead to rule out any fuse problems TC, but nothing, so its not the lead.
    I've tried a different monitor on the computer and it works fine, so its definitely the screen itself, not the computer.
    No AppleCare on the monitor, but I do have AppleCare on the Mac Pro is was connected to, although I don't think this covers the display?

I'm not sure whether the screen is just getting no power, or whether its the actual panel itself, as there is no power indicator on the screen?

Anyone come across this before, or know what the possible issue could be?
    I'm guessing its not going to be a cheap fix?!!

2. AppleMark, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013

AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

As you are using your laptop with the monitor, you should be able to call AppleCare as 'you cannot say 100%' if it is a problem with the display or laptop.

I used AppleCare on my mac to trouble shoot issues with my time capsule on this basis and was ok getting support.

Good luck.

EDIT: I am referring to telephone support which may solve technical issues you may have overlooked. Not repair / replacement. Also, [maybe..] do not tell them you have tried other monitors...

3. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

The monitor was used with a Mac Pro. Computer is fine. Tried a laptop with the display and the display still doesn't work, so I know for sure its the display.
    I may try your suggestion though and say I'm using it with my MBP to see if I can get any help, although I'm not sure it will lead to much!

I'm not sure whether its worth getting the screen fixed or whether I should sell it as faulty and try to get what I can for it?!

4. Volkan1984 macrumors member

Did you register the screen with the AppleCare when registering the Mac Pro? Otherwise you should have bought the AppleCare for the screen itself afterwards.

5. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

If so would it be covered under the Mac Pros AppleCare?
    I may ring them tomorrow and check..... ;)

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Only if you got applecare for the monitor also. The Pro's Applecare doesn't cover the monitor

7. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

I phoned Apple today. They said as long as the screen was purchased at the same time as the MacPro then it would be covered under the Mac Pros AppleCare.
    She done a quick check and confirmed they were purchased together, so I'll head down to an Apple store some time soon as see what they can do ;)

8. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

Glad a phone call was made to avoid this topic thread that could have been solved with a phone call in the first place. Oh wait. Well done OP.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

I too never understood why people don't just go straight to the official source. Instead they would rather post on a forum then wait minutes, hours, days, weeks, or months for a reply from someone whom they have no idea who they are or if they have a clue when it could of all been handled by a phone call that probably only lasted minutes.

10. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

Because a person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

11. Volkan1984 macrumors member

Good for you! Hope it all works out :)