27" Cinema Display only works for few minutes...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ZZ Bottom, Oct 25, 2015.

1. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

I have a ~2012 27" Apple Cinema Display that will only display for the first few minutes after sitting unused for a while. All the other components like speakers and camera continue to work, and the Mac continues to see it.

I've tried with 3 different Macs. I've tried wiggling the cable at both ends to no avail. Seems like once it builds up a little bit of heat it stops displaying.

Has anyone dealt with this issue and resolved it? What piece of hardware could be at fault? I took it to Apple and they want 800$ to fix it, citing a panel being at fault. Seems odd that it would work sometimes and not other if failed.

Any advice is appreciated!!!

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Sounds like one or more components have become heat sensitive and would need to be replaced.

IMHO the ATD is not worth these days anywhere the $999 Apple wants for them. Before 4K/5K a few years back, they were OK. For $800 you can have a 27" 4K IPS panel with USB 3 hub. For around $1000 you can get a 27" 5K IPS panel that does Adobe RGB. This weekend I gave my ATD to a close family friend for her MBP. I now use a Dell 4K monitor.

Hang on another month and see what kind of monitor deals you can find Black Friday through Cyber Monday.

3. ZZ Bottom thread starter macrumors 6502a

I appreciate your feedback. However I definitely don't have the available funds to invest in a new monitor yet. I also don't want to write this ACD off just yet.

Anyone else have insight?

4. frankdogg macrumors regular

frankdogg

you're going to have to open up this baby and operate. I'm going to guess that since the OTHER things are functioning, that the issue is related to one of the capacitors dying since you do get a picture and then it goes away.

if you decide to open it up, take a pic!