Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wek

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
Denmark
Hi

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 13 inch Mid 2014. I Really need a larger screen for daily use.

I'm thinking of buying the new Imac 27 Retina, to get me a better screen. But again, my MacBook Pro have almost the same specs as the new Imac (almost :) ) Thats why I also think about the old Cinema 27 display from Apple.

My question is. For a ordinary user like me, I dont work with 3 d or picture editing or anything. Is there such a quality difference between the 2 screens? I even think the old Imac have a beautiful looking screen :)

Do I really need Retina?

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I would say, go to an Apple Store and check the difference. For me a non retina display is not an option anymore.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Retina will give you a better display without a doubt: Even if you set it to "looks like" 2560x1440 (which is the resolution of the cinema display) it will actually be displaying at the full 5K resolution and scaling up fonts, etc (and images will be at full retina resolution)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.