27" Cinema Display problem with mini-DP --> DP converter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KappyB, Jan 21, 2011.

1. KappyB macrumors newbie

So i am trying to set up some computers (PC's) for my company, and we ordered the HD5850 graphic card and got two different revisions of it. :mad:

We are using the Apple 27" LED monitors via a mini-displayport --> displayport adapter, and on one of the graphic card revision it works great, but on the other nothing happens. We don't get any picture, and barely finds the screen in the settings.

On this site: http://www.powercolor.com/Manual/090106/Radeon_HD_5850_5870_ENG.pdf i can read:

"The computer boots up but there is no display. Verify that the monitor is connected properly to the computer and a power supply. If a DisplayPort adapter, passive dongle, or active dongle is used, visit www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/Pages/displayport-support.aspx and verify that it is AMD-approved. If your motherboard has on-board graphics capabilities, you may need to disable them. Consult your motherboard documentation for more information. Note: Some manufacturers do not allow the on-board graphics to be disabled or to become the secondary display."

But that link doesn't work, and I'm kinda stuck as it is now. Any tips, or help with this or the link at least? Kindest regards

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Personally, I'd choose the easy route; replacing the cards that don't work.

Troubleshooting without support is often not worth the time/money you invest.

3. KappyB thread starter macrumors newbie

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

1) Use Apple Screens with macs, not with PCs.
    2) Try and find a reliable source of the correct revision of the graphics cards - its a lot easier than going and purchasing every adapter under the sun to see if 1 works with revision x of product y etc.

5. Ashok0 macrumors regular

OP, just fyi the Apple LED Cinema Display 27" actually does NOT work on many Radeon 5xxx series cards. This is a known problem which is specific to ATi/AMD (it has nothing to do with Apple or PCs) and if you have an unlucky card, your best solution is to just upgrade to a 6000 series card or buy anything nVidia, those are guaranteed to work.