27'' Cinema display with early 2008 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MIKE666, Aug 27, 2010.

1. MIKE666 macrumors regular

Hi,

ive recently decided that instead of an imac ill get this monitor when it comes out.

after googling a bit i cant seem to find what i will need to connect this to my early 2008 MBP.

i did find an Atlona AT-DP 200 DVI to Mini Displayport adapter, but that cant handle the resolution of this new one.

i also found this:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4MzU1ODY

but im pretty sure that wont work as it looks like its to connect mdp MBP to Dual link dvi monitor.

so anyone have a solution?

thanks in advance

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You would need DVI TO MDP, not the other way around. It doesn't work that way.

3. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i though so, but for the 27'' wouldnt i need dual link dvi to mdp as im sure dvi cant do 2560*1440?

if so anyone know of such a product?

EDIT: Never mind, just found one for £187 there is no chance im paying that ill just get a 23 cinema display off ebay.

for anyone whos interested the device i found is the atlona dp400

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just get a Dell U2711; same monitor as the Apple one, except you get more inputs and it's a matte display.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Dell U2711 is a nice monitor. It doesn't offer LED backlighting, the integrated iSight and mike, and power supply, but then it offers a very nice port selection. It will be interesting to hear the audio capability of the new ACD, as it offers what sounds like a nice speaker system with a subwoofer. I'm very much leaning towards the 27" ACD.

6. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

27" ACD will have no better audio than a 27" iMac. Which isn't to say its bad, but $50 speakers easily can beat them.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

LED backlighting is proported to be the culprit behind the yellow screens. Yes you are missing the iSight and the mic, but I've never used my iSight, so I can't comment on that. I mainly suggested an alternative since the 27" ACD does require some bit of extra hardware for pre-Late 2008 MacBook Pro machines.