27" Cinema V 32" HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mikeschluss, Jan 24, 2011.

1. mikeschluss macrumors newbie

Thinking about a 27" Cinema display but I was just wondering if I would get more screen real estate by buying a 32" (or so) HDTV and connecting it to my MBP?
    Even though the screen resolution is lower on the HDTV (1080p), but since the screen size is bigger, would I get more real estate?

Anyone know?

- Michael

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's all about the pixels. 22" screen with resolution of 1920x1080 can display as much as stuff as 70" TV with resolution of 1920x1080. Things will just be smaller and sharper in the 22". Definitely get the 27" ACD if you're after screen estate

3. mikeschluss thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

for the quick reply.
    I actually also have a 27" iMac and love the screen, but was thinking to save some $ on this new screen, but I guess I'll go for it. Thanks.

4. mikeschluss thread starter macrumors newbie

Hellhamer,

On the other hand does the following make any sense:

On your 70" 1080p screen - even though there are the same # of pixels, nonetheless each of them are bigger. therefore you can make a window smaller in pixel size but just as big or bigger in physical inches as on a smaller 1080p screen , therefore you virtually have more space - even if you don't have the pixels in your favor? It would therefore be even larger than the 27" ACD while having fewer pixels.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, yes, of course it will be physically bigger on that 70". However, the computer sees them both as 1080p screens, they are the same for it. If you take e.g. a webpage and drag it from 22" to the 70", it will take the same % of the space on both screens. This means if you make the webpage smaller on the 70" because you think you have more screen estate, you'll get the horizontal scrolling bars.

It's hard to explain but no, you don't get more screen estate with the 1080p TV

6. mikeschluss thread starter macrumors newbie

OK... I look forward to my new ACD :)