27" Core i7 Memory

Discussion in 'iMac' started by police340, Jul 16, 2011.

1. police340 macrumors regular

Hello,

I will pick up an iMac 27" Core i7 tomorrow. I know it comes with 4Gb memory. I would like to bring it up to 16Gb. How should I buy this additional memory, do I have to replace the four or can i add on it it and does anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase in US?

Thank you,
    Bill

2. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

The most economical way to get 16 gb ram in your new imac is to buy 4x4 gb sticks. There are 8 gb stick available but the price for 2x8 gb is still well over $1000. A quick search on this forum should bring up a few recent threads about 16 gb (4x4 gb) being on sale for ~ $100. To get to 16 gb this way you would need to remove/replace the existing 2x2 gb ram

Another popular alternative is to leave the 2x2 gb ram in place and just purchase 2x4 gb sticks for a total of 12 gb ram. Not really what you asked for, I know, but it does make sense economically.

As for where to purchase... I went with OWC and am very happy with their products and services. Crucial is also liked around here but if you're on a budget, plenty of people will say just to get what's on sale

3. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

I picked up GSkill 16GB of rams (4x4) from Newegg last week for $100. Works like a charm on my 27in i7.

4. police340 thread starter macrumors regular

iMac Memort

Thank you all for the replies. And how do you like the iMac 27"? I am picking mine up tomorrow.

Bill