Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
I've decided to sell my older iMac and use my 2011 MacBook Pro as my main Mac. I was looking at options for an external display and see that the Apple 27" is $999. That seems way high doesn't it? Also is it usable on a Mac without Thunderbolt?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You're paying for the fruit logo on the back. Don't get me wrong, I love my ACD and its a great monitor, but personally, I'd probably look elsewhere next time.

As for thunderbolt, I'm able to plug in my min display port into the thunderbolt port of my rMPB so I think it goes the other way, but I'll defer to someone who has better knowledge.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
ACD is a unique product. It has:
  • good 27" IPS monitor for narrow gamut RGB images
  • Thunderbolt docking station for charging Thunderbolt-capable MacBooks and multiplexing video, audio, ethernet, USB 2, and FW 800 between the ACD and the Macbook.

List is $999 with refurb at $799. You may find a used one cheaper on ebay or craig's list. Needless to say, you need a Macbook that does Thunderbolt.

I would hold off until fall new product releases before deciding on any new Macbook or monitor. Let's see if Apple releases ACD 2.

http://www.apple.com/displays/
http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
I could not justify the $799 price tag on the refurbished display, so I hunted for a used one. My patience paid off when I found a used Apple 27" LED for $475. It is the older model but is in great shape. If you are not in a hurry, wait for the update but if you're needing it now buy used.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Also is it usable on a Mac without Thunderbolt?

It cannot be used on non-Thunderbolt Macs, but thankfully yours has Thunderbolt. It's a great display. As for price, do keep in mind that it has a hub built in, and do buy refurbished if you decide to get one. That said, it's long overdue for an update so I'd wait.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
It cannot be used on non-Thunderbolt Macs, but thankfully yours has Thunderbolt. It's a great display. As for price, do keep in mind that it has a hub built in, and do buy refurbished if you decide to get one. That said, it's long overdue for an update so I'd wait.

You know, I had no idea that mine had Thunderbolt. Then last night, I was looking at the ports on the side and saw a small one by the USB ports and wondered what it was. Now you confirmed that it is indeed Thunderbolt! If I don't go with an external display, what other peripherals would I be able to use that would benefit from Thunderbolt?

On a s light side note, my PC has a 27" Dell 2560 X 1440 display connected by DVI. It's not new enough to have DisplayPort but is there a way to connect the MacBook Pro to it somehow? I did just look at it on Amazon though and it does indeed have a DisplayPort connector, I must just have never seen it. Would I just have to buy a cable and then I can switch monitor inputs when I want to use the Mac on it?

"Myriad of connectivity options: HDMI, DisplayPort with audio, DVI-D (HDCP), USB and VGA ports.Service and Support Details: Limited warranty - 3 years"

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Would I just have to buy a cable and then I can switch monitor inputs when I want to use the Mac on it?

That should work. You'll want a miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. The Thunderbolt port on your computer will accept a miniDisplayPort cable.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
I Googled a little and it seems that I can safely use the MBP closed with an external display. I'd basically have a tiny desktop computer with a 27" display, and bluetooth keyboard, mouse, and multi touch pad. I'm not sure if OS X supports touch so I might use my Dell U2711 with the MBP and put the Acer IPS touch screen on my PC.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Well, I went to the Apple Store and the clueless employee tried to tell me that VGA was the best way to go. I ended up getting a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable. That way I can use it with either monitor that I have.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
ACD is a unique product. It has:
  • good 27" IPS monitor for narrow gamut RGB images
  • Thunderbolt docking station for charging Thunderbolt-capable MacBooks and multiplexing video, audio, ethernet, USB 2, and FW 800 between the ACD and the Macbook.

Apple Cinema Display ≠ Apple ThunderBolt Display

The Apple Cinema Display does not have Thunderbolt or Ethernet.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Well, I went to the Apple Store and the clueless employee tried to tell me that VGA was the best way to go. I ended up getting a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable. That way I can use it with either monitor that I have.

Lol what? VGA isn't preferable unless you need to use the second input to switch between monitors. I believe you are limited to 1920x1200 on the mDP to HDMI adapter. You would have to use a DisplayPort cable to get the full 2560x1440 on the dell monitor. I would put the dell monitor with the mbp and use the acer screen with the PC

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Lol what? VGA isn't preferable unless you need to use the second input to switch between monitors. I believe you are limited to 1920x1200 on the mDP to HDMI adapter. You would have to use a DisplayPort cable to get the full 2560x1440 on the dell monitor. I would put the dell monitor with the mbp and use the acer screen with the PC

Well, you were right. HDMI only allowed 1080p. I read something about a dual link HDMI cable but since the monitor has a DisplayPort I should probably use that. I wonder why the dummy at the Apple Store didn't tell me that. I told I had a 2011 MBP and a Dell U2711 with DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA, and DVI.

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
I suggest you buy a 2560x1440 display from Dell or Asus. Had the Dell for some time, just bought the Asus PB278Q. (Had to send the Dell back due to production issues)

PS: I also switched from an iMac to MacBook+display

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Well, you were right. HDMI only allowed 1080p. I read something about a dual link HDMI cable but since the monitor has a DisplayPort I should probably use that. I wonder why the dummy at the Apple Store didn't tell me that. I told I had a 2011 MBP and a Dell U2711 with DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA, and DVI.

That is a dual link DVI cable. Apple sells a mini-displayport -> Dual link DVI adapter, but it costs $100. However, a mini-displayport -> displayport cable can be found online very cheap.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
However, a mini-displayport -> displayport cable can be found online very cheap.
Correct, and as I mentioned that's what the OP needs. The Apple guy may have not realized the Dell monitor supported Displayport and suggested VGA since it will actually work while HDMI won't (on a 2011 MBP), or he heard the OP mention the Dell was attached to his PC and assumed OP would be switching back and forth. *shrug*

Anyway, Amazon.com and Monoprice.com both have good options for mDP to DP cables. Here's one for $10: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B004CAGDUA

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Correct, and as I mentioned that's what the OP needs. The Apple guy may have not realized the Dell monitor supported Displayport and suggested VGA since it will actually work while HDMI won't (on a 2011 MBP), or he heard the OP mention the Dell was attached to his PC and assumed OP would be switching back and forth. *shrug*

Anyway, Amazon.com and Monoprice.com both have good options for mDP to DP cables. Here's one for $10: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B004CAGDUA

Yeah I clearly told her that it had DisplayPort but she just couldn't get it in her head. Thanks goodness I have this forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.