27" DVI input

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Phillie14586, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Phillie14586 macrumors member

Just reading the other post related to 27" input I have a question about connecting a G4 MDD that has a DVI output to a quad i5 or quad i7 iMac. I need to connect the G4 since my kids have some games that still run in Classic mode and only have enough room for one monitor. Is there a cable that will allow me to use the iMac as a monitor for the G4?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Has the G4 a GPU capable of putting out 2560 x 1440 pixel? There is this Atlona DVI to MDP converter, but it is limited to a lesser resolution.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Should have waited for you reply a bit longer. ;)

Atlona offers a HDMI to MDP converter for 27" iMacs too though.

And btw, I have not been able to ever really use the Screen Recycler demo with any of my Macs I tried it with.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, they do. In fact, they offer bunch of adapters including HDMI to MDP with 1080p support and DVI to MDP with 1440p support.

I've never even tried it. Too bad if it's not working well :( Worth trying though

6. Phillie14586 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the links. At $130-$150 It might just be more economical to get the MacPro. If I go with the iMac I also need to purchase an external harddrive enclosure. So once I get the DVI to mini displayport and the enclosure I almost make up the difference to the MacPro. Considering that Geekbench scores between the MacPro and the high end iMacs are not that different and that does not take into account graphics cards. I suspect once the graphiocs cards are taken into consideration the MacPro should be noticably faster than the quad core i5 and statistically faster than the quad i7.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mobility 5850 is just underclocked desktop 5770 thus the GPU difference isn't dramatical.

You could take a look at Mac Pro refurbs, the base goes for 2119$ IIRC

8. Phillie14586 thread starter macrumors member