27" i5 or i7?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lil.Monster, May 7, 2011.

1. lil.Monster macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.
    I just bought an iMac 27", 3.1 GHz i5 Quad-Core (the new high end model). However I was wondering if I should take it back now and get an i7 at 3.4 GHz? I just saw the geek-bench score for the i7 and was wondering if it is worth taking it back and paying another 240$ AUD for the i7. I think the i7 is considerably faster but seeing as I am only a student and do not really need the extra power do you think I should bother? It would really only 'future-proof' my machine.
    And also are you planing on buying a new iMac? Or are you going to wait for the next generation?
    Thank-you! :)

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

The hyper-threading that the i7 has isn't going to do you any good unless you do calculations, processing (photos and the like) or 3d rendering and not just small bits here and there, but lots of it - big batches of the stuff.

So, what are you doing with your iMac and what do you think you'll do with it in the next few years?

3. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

If you dont plan on doing heavy video encoding or other CPU intensive tasks the i5 will be all you ever need and more.

4. lil.Monster thread starter macrumors newbie

Well just basic stuff like internet browsing and word processing and watching HD movies etc. I use boot-camp to game a lot tho and I occasionally play around in AfterEffects and some 3D applications. I don't use it for those intensive tasks very often so I know it will suffice. So yeah, just like normal student stuff. But I'm planning on keeping it for 3-4 years so I hope it is still good enough! I don't think I can be bothered to back it up, then repackage it and lug it down to the apple store, and then pay $240 to get the i7. But thanks for the help! :D

5. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

It would be useless anyway, you would never ever need the power the i7 can provide.

6. jborko macrumors member

Just keep what you have and enjoy the life for those 240$ ;)

7. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Buy an SSD with that $240. You'd see much more of a performance boost from that in day-to-day use. :)

8. Spyriadon macrumors regular

Spyriadon

I write/record/produce music and i decided on the i5, unlike video must software i use barely consumes any cpu power its all down to RAM.

9. Hexley macrumors 6502a

I'm in a similar situation as well.

The BTO'd iMac i7 would only swap out the i5 for i7 and 1GB VRAM for 2GB. Other than that any future modifications will be done by myself at a later time.

By waiting 30-45 days I can save $220 for my BTO'd iMac i7 bought through an Apple reseller.

If bought straight from the online Apple store I can have it in 6 days but minus the $220.

On Monday, May 9 the standard 3.1GHz i5 27-inch iMac will be available for sale in the Apple reseller for I am guessing $2,130

Application will be Aperture & Final Cut Pro. I deal with RAW & video from the EOS 5D Mark II, 7D, 1D Mark IV and other HD video sources.

I do not live in the US, Europe and other civilized place that can ship sooner. so that's my predicament.

10. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

WAT? Who in gods name takes 30 to 45 days?

11. Hexley macrumors 6502a

That's how things work here in this South East Asian banana republic. :D

12. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

So they will disguise the iMac with bananas and pack it into a box to protect it from theft by currupt postmen? ;)