27" I7 imac high pitch noise, common?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by existe, Sep 8, 2010.

1. existe macrumors member

existe

I have a new 27" I7 that appears to have the high pitch sound issue if the brightness is not at max or lowest. How "common" is this issue?

I do not need the perfect iMac (I have some gray banding and the 1TB HD grumbling and it is not a big issue to me) I just wanted to see if this high pitch noise is considered a defect and needs to be fixed/replaced or it is more common than not with the iMac.

Also read that the grounding plug might have something to do with the noise and that buying a hum reducing device might solve the issue. Thanks

2. Btom macrumors 6502a

It is unstable power supply issue, endemic for the 21.5"/27" iMacs. It may affect reliability of the PS (not to mention annoy you). Return/replace unit while you still can IMHO.

Tom B.

3. existe thread starter macrumors member

existe

Called Apple Care and the advisor stated he has never heard of this issue but he did state he could hear the high pitch noise through the phone. He advised I take it back and exchange. road trip time I guess.

4. munckee macrumors 65816

Crap. I just got my 21.5" yesterday and it has the same issue. Guess it'll be going back as well. :mad:

5. Felias macrumors member

It seems around 70% of all iMacs have this issue more or less... Most people don't know what to look for, and it's not loud enough to hear it right away in a lot of cases.

I personally never have seen an iMac since late 2009 that does not have this issue...

6. munckee macrumors 65816

Mine was quite noticeable. I debated ignoring it, but I'm going to exchange it and see what I get back.