27 i7 imac loud top fans.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lulla01, Oct 7, 2010.

1. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Is this normal? I was playing starcraft 2 and realized wow thats loud its like a humidifier.

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i would say
    best install a app like istat pro or smc fan control or fan control so you can see the actual fan speeds , because LOUD is relative and not really a clear indication if something is normal or not as the fans are at about the same hight as your ears and direct in front of you , but that is absolute normal on a "all in one" and human ears have the tendency that they are not calibrated in all humans the same way ,
    for some a fly is annoying loud and they cant sleep ,while other who live since years near a military airport think a tornado at takeoff is quiet

but despite the iMac has a i7 CPU and a moderate GPU its capable to run most games at moderate settings, but its just not a gaming rig, its a Mac

3. Teqnilogik macrumors member

I've gamed on my iMac and the fans have kicked on eventually. To me, it wasn't loud but that is subject as the previous poster said. The sound of the game drowns out most of the noise from the iMac's fans to me. If you had a PC you would definitely hear fan noise all the time rather than just during gaming sessions. At least with the iMac you get silent operation most of the time.