27" iMac + 11" or 13" MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fotuwe, Jun 14, 2012.

1. fotuwe macrumors member

Hey guys!

My working horse at home is a 27" iMac with SSD, 32GB etc.
    I'd like to get something portable to carry with me. Whats the "better" addition to this setup?

Gonna use it for surfing, writing, powerpoint and some photo-work (main post production @ 27").
    I'd say the 11" would be great for this but I dont like the battery life (3-4 hours) in comparison to the 13" and the big big frame on the 11". This looks really ugly :X ....

You have a similar setup? What would you do?

11" - 4GB - 128GB or 13" - 4GB - 128 GB?

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Similar situation with me.

Went with an 11in because I figured, "hey, I have a 27in at home that I can do real work on, so might as well get something super portable."

After 6 months, I went to the 13in. The problem with thinking that way is that your setup at home is truly irrelevant to your productivity elsewhere. And for me, the 11in hampered that productivity both in its screen size and its battery life.

It's a great machine, no doubt... but the 13in (for me, at least), just made more sense. I do really miss the extra portability of the 11in, but the tradeoff for a bigger and higher resolution display, plus about 3 extra hours of battery, makes it totally worth it. In terms of performance, they were very, very similar - so it truly was a matter of screen size and battery life.