27" iMac 2011 & 11" MBA 2011 > 15" rMBP 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjcharlton71, Aug 6, 2012.

1. mjcharlton71 macrumors member

Have been thinking about my computing habits of late since I bought the MBA in March and in the last few weeks I've noticed I'm not using the iMac as much....

This got me thinking: "should I ditch the iMac & MBA, get a rMBP and use that for everything?".

Things like music, photos, videos etc I've got stored on a NAS and backup up multiple times offline.... I do a little bit of WoW gaming and that's about it along those lines. App-wise, it's iWork, iPhoto and the like, some tinkering with GarageBand, ripping DVDs to watch around the house (I've a couple of extrernal region 1 and 2 drives for ripping).

Can anyone offer any thoughts/advice on this, or if anyone's done the same kind of change could they give me their 10 pence worth?

The only gotcha is the spousal acceptance factor of changing, but I should be able to sort that one ;-)

2. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

3. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

I'm in exactly the same situation but with a 22" iMac and an 11" Air.

When I heard the rumors of the newest update, which ended up being the air/pro upgrade and retina release, I listed my iMac and Air for sale on craigslist.

I sold the iMac and got a solid offer for the Air, but my fiancé (now wife) didn't want to give up the 11" Air.

I kept the Air and bought the Retina but she wasn't happy about that and told me to sell the Air if thats what I wanted... the only problem was, between having a buyer and her saying that, the newest Air's were released AND the high-end 11" got a $100 price cut... man was I pissed!

Wedding time came around and I was worried about money. I get education benefits through the military and they come whenever they feel like sending them. So I was forced to return my retina and now I just have an 11" Air...

Pretty lame, but for you, I'd STRONGLY suggest selling both and getting the retina. If you're anything like me, you need your own computer and not one that you share. Buy your wife an older 11" or 13" air (2010?) because thats all she needs anyways and those things go cheap refurbished!

The retina is everything you'd need in a desktop computer. I regularly played Diablo 3 on it. The resolution for documents is insane, you get so much screen real estate for multiple windows open, etc.

4. Boiler macrumors regular

With wife and wedding, save the money for now and hold out for next generation 15 retina or hope a 13 retina comes out and get that since your used to 11 mba

5. ThaDog macrumors newbie

I "upgraded" this way.
    I sold my 2011 iMac 27" and 2011 MacBook Air 13".
    Now i have a rMBP 2.6/16/512 and i am happy i did the upgrade.
    No need for the 27" since the 15.4 Retina Screen is superb and does the job fine.
    I have more space on my work desk and don't have to bother anymore to keep 2 Mac's synchronized.
    For me it was a good thing to do.

6. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

This... this is my main drive for consolidating. I'm sick of having to sync files and maintain multiple computers!

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Based on the logic in this thread (which belongs to me also) I picked up a

I'm tired of having to sync and have multiple copies. I just want one computer that works well. Hopefully this is it.