Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ballman71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello, I wanted to buy a iMac soon, and I would use it mostly for web browsing, but not any editing software like cs5 or final cut or anything of the like.I usually would want to be gaming the most. I would like to play battlefield bad company 2 and the online store has options for hardware. Should I either: go with the i7 upgrade? the video card 2GB upgrade? Also, or the 8GB memory upgrade? Which one will I benefit the most out of gaming? Since I am not using editing software, or running multiple apps at the same time.

lamboman

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
As you will probably already know, don't buy your memory from the Apple Store, the prices are plain silly.

As for upgrades, if you have to, go with the video card upgrade with more memory over the processor (which will make literally no difference).

I'd personally stick with the standard configuration, but that's just me :)

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
For gaming, as said above, go for the upgrade in GPU. A strong CPU is great (I have the i7 in my 21.5" iMac) but for gaming a strong GPU is more important.

Also as said above though, don't get apple RAM. An upgrade in the RAM is a good idea but get it from newegg or OWC (macsales.com) as they will sell it to you for a fraction of the cost (35 compared to 180 dollars) and RAM on an iMac is easy to change. Literally it took me 5 minutes to upgrade myself from 4 to 8GB or RAM

I AM THE MAN

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello, I wanted to buy a iMac soon, and I would use it mostly for web browsing, but not any editing software like cs5 or final cut or anything of the like.I usually would want to be gaming the most. I would like to play battlefield bad company 2 and the online store has options for hardware. Should I either: go with the i7 upgrade? the video card 2GB upgrade? Also, or the 8GB memory upgrade? Which one will I benefit the most out of gaming? Since I am not using editing software, or running multiple apps at the same time.

Everyone has said it. Although the i7 would be great, the better GPU would be the better choice for smoother gameplay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.