Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RuggedPro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
I've read multiple places that the 3.2 i3 has hyperthreading but when talking with apple they say it does not. Any owners verify one way or the other?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
It does have hyperthreading, however it does not have turbo boost. This is Intel's page on that processor.

Actually, the only iMac that doesn't have it is the quad i5. All the dual cores do, as does the i7

RuggedPro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
That is what I thought.

Just to check my facts: In a dual core 3.2GHz i3 hyperthreading would be ideal as it narrows the gap between it and a quad core by enabling virtual cores?

And in a quad core 2.88GHz i5, turboboost would be ideal because it narrows the speed gap between it and the 3.2GHz i3?

How far off am I?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Just to check my facts: In a dual core 3.2GHz i3 hyperthreading would be ideal as it narrows the gap between it and a quad core by enabling virtual cores?

Yes, although a physical core is still better than virtual

And in a quad core 2.88GHz i5, turboboost would be ideal because it narrows the speed gap between it and the 3.2GHz i3?

Not only narrows as i5-760 has maximum Turbo of 3.33GHz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.