27" imac + 64gig iPad OR 15" macbook pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by newConvert, Jan 28, 2010.

?

27" imac + 64gig iPad OR 15" macbook pro?

1. 27" imac (2nd best model) + 64gig iPad (wifi only)

98 vote(s)
    86.0%
  2. 15" macbook pro (2nd best model)

16 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. newConvert macrumors regular

So, I was in the market for a new macbook pro, and now that the iPad is out, there is an interesting dilema for me. I could do either:

- 27" imac (2nd best model) $1700
    - iPad (64g wifi only) $700
    Total: $2400

OR

- 15" MBP (2nd best model)
    Total: $2300

Hmmm, i'll be using the computer for development and personal use.

What would you all do?

2. WytRaven macrumors 6502

iMac/iPad but it really depends what you need from mobile computing I guess.

3. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking about it… and thought I'd miss having my laptop to do dev on infront of the tv.. But you SHOULD be able to get a remote desktop app for the iPad, then remote into the iMac for full access. The wireless keyboard that comes with the iMac is supposed to work with the ipad as well…

dilemas....

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yeah, what he said. If you need to do serious work away from home then MBP. If you just need web access and a basic word processor then iPad.

I love the iPad & ordering one as soon as Apple allows, but the iPad is not yet a serious work tool like the MBP. There are plenty of professional vertical markets that will develop and the iPad will become a tool in time, but right now it's still a toy.

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I've had a laptop before my iMac and one thing I've noticed is by the third week I have it pretty much glued to my desk to another monitor. That is why I sold my Macbook and got an iMac because I never used it as a laptop. I would have used it more as a laptop but it was too heavy to carry around and was too obnoxious to use in class.

The iPad and my iMac will compliment each other very well. I can take the iPad to a meeting at work and take notes and work on excel charts and fill out my calender, where my laptop would have been in the way. And of course my iMac's screen is much larger than a laptops and it is much faster.

Obviously I'm biased but I really have no use for a LAPtop versus a standalone computer. But I could get a lot of use out of an iPad where my laptop would have been a bother.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Look into Jaadu VNC. I have it on my iPhone. I don't really use it, but with an iPad I would. I personally like the iMac (have one) with iPad solution better than the MBP. I also have a MacBook but might actually get rid of it.

8. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

My macbook is literally falling apart at the seams now. I dropped it and the case cracked, so now along the edges the plastic is coming off.

Will hang on for the new MBP before making a decions methinks. Think i'm leaning towards the 27" imac + iPad. but i'm sure that'll change tomorrow.

9. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

The iPad won't be in stores for another two months, so you don't need to make your decision until then.

As others said, it depends on what you need it for. I probably would go for the MBP because:
    1) At home, I tend to use my computer while sitting on my couch or in an easy chair.
    2) I do a lot of typing when out of the house.

10. BobHail macrumors 6502a

Get iMac + iPhone 3GS!!!

iPhone beats the iPad hands down!!!

11. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

They may all share some functionalities but there are large differences between all the products you mentioned. If you're looking for a good medium - I would pick the MBP. It has the abilities of an iMac along with the mobility of an iPad. One can't replace the other though. Don't expect the iPad for example to be a mobile version of your iMac. You may be able to bring or view media's you store in your iMac but don't expect the iPad to do the kind of editing prowess a real computer has. Downside of a MBP - it won't be as powerful as an iMac and it won't have the same portability and applications of an iPad. Good news is...all products you listed are great either way.

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

How? It has no hands to start with.

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I absolutely love my iMac + netbook (running OSX) combo. I think I will be replacing the netbook with an iPad, though, as it is even more inline with what I do (especially with an Apple BT keyboard).

14. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

already have the 3gs! so I have that covered. Man i'm kinda agonizing over this decision. Leaning towards the MBP as I feel like iPad 2.0 will be much better than 1.0.

........but i'll probably change my mind tomorrow.

15. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Personally I am going with 27" iMac + iPad 64Gb (Wi-Fi + 3G) and from what I have read in your OP, it could suit you as well :)

16. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

Kind of an old bump, but now that the iPad and new macbook pros have been out for a while, what do you think? I think I am leaning towards the iPad + iMac route, but I can't decide if I'll end up missing being able to do dev infront of the tv, haha. Probably get more done though.

17. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

You can still watch TV with the iMac setup. Either get a slingbox and watch on your iMac or use any of a number of VPN/RDP apps to connect to your iMac on the iPad--pair it with a Bluetooth keyboard or the keyboard dock and you're good to go.

18. MikeCase macrumors member

MikeCase

I've had my MBP for about 8 months now and my iPad for almost 4 weeks. Now that I've had my iPad, like someone else posted, my MBP pretty much is on my desk with an external monitor.

With the iPad, I would much rather have an iMac over my MBP.

19. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Sold loaded 15" unibody MBP + 24" Apple Cinema.

Bought 27" iMac + 64g iPad.

It's working out fine. :)

20. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I entered the Apple world via the Mini, then got a refurbed MacBook, now I have the IPad. My mother loves the MacBook now. :) I pretty much use the IPad almost all the time, and my back loves me for it. Now I am waiting to see if new IMacs are coming down the line in November.

21. BobRichards macrumors regular

I would go with the iMac and ipad. Remote desktop would work well
    p

22. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

I have an iMac, and really want a MBP, however, I think it would be a waste, and I'd be better off with an iPad. But I travel a lot and would rather having a laptop with me... Agghhh... Maybe all three?

23. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

Basically, C2D is still crazy fast in real world use. And you'll get two new shiny gadgets instead of just one...

24. aluren macrumors 65816

After 3 months you still haven't decided? :D

How about getting the MBP and iPad (if your budget permits)? The new MBP 15" with the Core i7 can easily handle anything you throw at it. But if you need the screen real estate of the 27" iMac, then that would be an issue... Maybe get a cheap monitor to plug your MBP to?

25. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

Ha, well, I've been waiting for the ipad to come out, and the new MBP's, now I kinda want to wait until the new iMacs are out! In all honesty my current laptop will make due for a while. I dont play many games, and doing dev doesn't really take that much processing power (atleast for me)